Removing thermal pad

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I wonder why that is...
AMD's reasoning is that when they sell a processor they try and make it as idiot proof as possible to install.

Using their stock cooler with a thermal pad is a safe bet. AMD have suffered many returns of their processors through people messing up installations, from some spreading heat sink compound all over the top of the CPU as if it was butter to people starting a machine with no cooler at all on the CPU :eek:

Little wonder that AMD and their network of re-sellers recommend the Thermal pad and their own cooler, it makes sense when you don't know the capability and experience of the end user.

But, as in all things, if you know what you're doing, a custom cooler with Arctic Silver compound or other quality make is a much better bet.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I figured it was so they made more cash
No, I don't think so. For once a manufacturer's intentions seem honourable.

Although it probably does save them money through less returns/rma's.

I'd guess the AMD cooler is supplied almost at cost. If you buy an OEM version of an AMD processor, no cooler, you get one year's warranty. Buying the retail version for a little more with the cooler, you get three year's warranty.

Providing you use their cooler, 60mm fan and all :)

But they'd never know, would they? If you'd used a cooler other than AMD's, that is.

In fact, I believe if you register an AMD CPU, they want the serial number of the cooler, rather than the chip.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
from some spreading heat sink compound all over the top of the CPU as if it was butter to people starting a machine with no cooler at all on the CPU :eek:

just like butter on toast for some! who needs jam? :) !

Reaction score
Well... As it turns out, the stock cooler is pretty good. the 90nm nodes on/ in the prcessor no doubt help, as well as the metal plate on top of the die, but my idle temps are 24/25 degrees C. That aint bad! (With AS5)

Cant complain, although I may still go with watercooling for when I get up to 275x10 heh heh heh... :)

Ask a Question