Removing thermal pad

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Will be building my pc soon (last bits comming tomorrow hopefully) and i am trying to find out the best way to remove the grey thermal pad on my AMD 64 so i can use the Arctic Silver 5 i bought. Most of the searches i have done have said to take it off with a credit card then rub the HSF with alcohol or acetone (will nail varnish remover work - not mine btw). Any help appriciated :) .

Finn

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, remove as much of it as you can with a credit card (or a blunt piece of wood, a lolly stick maybe), then use alcohol or acetone to remove the rest with a rag.

Do not use nail varnish remover, it leaves a residue and is quite harsh as well.

Isopropyl alcohol can be purchased from some chemists.

The best stuff though, is label remover, it smells orangey, but it's not widely available.

You can get a 'pen' style container of it from RS (Radio Spares) but you need an account with them. Maplins may do it, or an Office Suppliers maybe.

Whatever you use, be careful and be gentle, you don't wanna be bending no pins :)

Reaction score
alrite since ive been on pcreview and i post a problem i do notice that a lot of people view the thread but do not post a reply!

so im one of those that actually read your post and am leaving a reply, even if i cant help u out!

never installed an athlon 64 so cant help u out just yet, but im sure that there will be someone else that knows their athlon 64's!:)

good luck

Reaction score
Akasa do a "TIM" cleaning product... thermal interface material. £3/4 a bottle, will remove the gunk that comes on stock heatsinks. I think Maplin sells it, or an equivalent. I`ve just got me an Athlon 64 too, am in the same boat!

The Akasa stuff comes in a white bottle with a yellow label. Happy hunting!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kenny said:
Akasa do a "TIM" cleaning product... thermal interface material. £3/4 a bottle, will remove the gunk that comes on stock heatsinks. I think Maplin sells it, or an equivalent. I`ve just got me an Athlon 64 too, am in the same boat!

The Akasa stuff comes in a white bottle with a yellow label. Happy hunting!
That will be label remover - same stuff.

Except it's dressed up in fancy packaging and costs three times as much.

Do a search - it's worth it ;)

Reaction score
LOL.... Flops... you have a point again. Is listed as £4 in CustomPC, Maplin charge £6.99 for it... Our Survey Says.... X

Ah well.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CustomPC's 4 quid ain't too bad.

No, don't use vodka or whiskey, too much residue, not enough alcohol. You could try Polish Spirit maybe... ;)

(Only kidding)

Reaction score
I think i will try the local Staples, Parteners ect before ordering off the internet, with delivery it looks expensive no matter where i get it from. Hope AS is worth all this bother, money and losing my warentee.

Do post if you spot anything cheap and effective with free/cheap delievery.

Finn

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I removed mine with methelated spirits (ya know that purple crap tramps drink ;) ).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I removed mine with methelated spirits (ya know that purple crap tramps drink ;) ).
I use meths to clean most stuff but oddly enough it wouldn't move the remains of a thermal pad on my FX5700LE.

Different compounds I guess.

And I'll have ice and a slice of lime with mine please :p

Reaction score
I shoot mine. (Not I.V.... shot glass) :)

Finn: AS5 is DEFINATELY worth it. Kinda want my new rig to be at least working tonight, even if not up to speed, so have trekked all over Glasgow to find AS5. Only 1 place had it- I wouldnt waste my time like that if it wasnt worth it. I even paid £7 for it, which is overpriced i know, but like I said, I want a working computer.

Think I got meths in the house.. why didnt I think of that!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is what I use.

But it seems to have gone up - £3.51 + VAT and you have to buy 5.

Last time I bought one it was under two quid inclusive.

Reaction score
Well... the crap that comes on stock Athlon heatsinks is now gone and.... theres no copper to be seen! Dammit!

A sense a new heatsink comin on! maybe not today... but i aint doin any real overclocking with a solid aluminium cooler!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
will nail varnish remover work
Just a note from me ... NO, most commercial nail varnishes contain additives ... like wax.

;)

Reaction score
Just went looking for label remover, tried stationary shops, Staples and PC World only to be met by confused assistants. So i went to a Chemist and they sold me some pure Acetone for 85p, that will work wont it? Will wait for a response before giving it a try. :)

Finn

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
[font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
Caution:
[/font][font=TimesNewRoman,Italic]For lidless processors, such as AMD Athlon MP, AMD Athlon XP, and AMD Duron processors, thermal grease is recommended only for short-term use; for long-term use AMD recommends thermal pads.​
[/font]
;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finn said:
Just went looking for label remover, tried stationary shops, Staples and PC World only to be met by confused assistants. So i went to a Chemist and they sold me some pure Acetone for 85p, that will work wont it? Will wait for a response before giving it a try. :)

Finn
It won't do it any harm, give it a go.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
[font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
Caution:

[/font][font=TimesNewRoman,Italic]For lidless processors, such as AMD Athlon MP, AMD Athlon XP, and AMD Duron processors, thermal grease is recommended only for short-term use; for long-term use AMD recommends thermal pads.​

[/font]
;)
Yep, and AMD recommend their own stock coolers as well :rolleyes:

Ask a Question