Removing Sony's CD 'rootkit' kills Windows

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops ...

Sysinternals' Mark Russinovich has performed an analysis of the copy restriction measures deployed by Sony Music on its latest CDs: which he bluntly calls a 'root kit'. Using conventional tools to remove Sony's digital media malware will leave ordinary users with Windows systems unable to play CDs. While the Sony CDs play fine on Red Book audio devices such as standard consumer electronics CD players, when they're played on a Windows PC the software forces playback through a bundled media player, and restricts how many digital copies can be made from Windows.

What makes Sony's CD digital media software particularly nasty is that using expert tools for removing the parasite risks leaving you with a Windows PC that's useless, and that requires a full reformat and reinstall.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/01/sony_rootkit_drm/

Wonder what happens to Linux. ;)

Reaction score
Hey Mucks.. I have a program that rips by recording a live stream. It will play the song and along side it also records it in the requested format.

So is this how all programs work... or is this my "Loop Hole"
EDIT: After reading both articles fully through I now see the problem. You are forced to intall thier bundled software to play the music, and this program has the virus... thats terrible.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Haven't a clue Raje ... Sony just install a 'virus' strait onto your system, if you use a Rootkit remover, it breaks Windows ... so you have to do a clean install

I don't care what anybody does or uses ... and I don't want to know ... ;)

Sony is installing viruses via their CDs

I'm just a messenger ... but I won't be buying ANYTHING off Sony ever again

muckshifter

Reaction score
nice ... bugger you Sony!

AnyDVD tackles Sony DRM Rootkit Virus!
If AnyDVD is installed and active on your PC, the new so-called "Sony DRM Rootkit Virus" has no access to your system and the affected audio CD appears unprotected regardless! Another good reason to get AnyDVD!

Read more information about Sony DRM Rootkit Virus:
Sysinternals.com: Sony gone too far
F-Secure.com: ...security implications

Ask a Question