Windows XP Removing Dual Boot Screen

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove a dual boot screen from a PC that has been reinstalled with only one OS please?

Reaction score
xp/w2k:
Right click My computer.
properties
Advanced tab
Startup/recovery

In Xp I believe they allow you to edit boot.ini.
in w2k they don't.
in xp, you can edit boot.ini, and remove the other os.
or as with w2k, select the default os, and either uncheck the display list, or set it to 1 second timeout.
Alt method with w2k is to manually edit the boot.ini file (you need to unhide it first), or boot the cd, start the recovery console and edit the boot.ini file there.

if you manually edit, the order in the list is the order of the display of choices. if you need the 2nd choice, then delete the entire line for the first one. the line will look like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Reaction score
Thanks tjm4fun - after a few attempts and going back to 'last known good.....' I realised I had mistyped mult(0) in the OS line, but after spotting and correcting that (multi(0)) it worked well.

Ask a Question