Removing ATI Drivers - For Good

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new ATI Card coming in the mail fairly soon, and after the unsucessful installation of the Radeon 9250 ATI Card and Drivers (PCI), I figured i'll need to uninstall all of this and the software to make way for the correct card (The AGP version)

Well, so far I've tried this, I used the utility unistaller and this removed most of the AGI stuff. I looked on the web and followed advice of the sites I found, and I installed CAT Uninstaller from ATI's Site, as well as looking into my registry and searching via Windows Search to delete any files that managed to escape.

When I go onto "add/Remove programmes" all ATI stuff is gone, except one thing called "ATi Drivers" whenver I try to uninstall this, it never works, the unistall shield begins, the progress bar fills, then nothing. When I run CAT uninstaller and reboot this thing is stil lthere.

And this thing seems to be repalcing a deleted file, as when I check my registry an ATI key has re-appeared in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE. Every time I reboot my computer after deleting this file it reappears.

How Do i get rid of this ATI for once and for all? As I want to make sure my next card has a clean install. I don't know what else to try! Or how to find this "ATI Driver" so I can delete it manually. I've tried system restore but it is still there. I use the "search" function but no more ATi fiels come up! So what is this file?

ANy ideas on how to remove the ATI Driver here or would it not be a hidnerance in the installation?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I Would Suggest That You Are Having A Difficult Time Removing This
File Is Because It Is In Use By The System.i Would Say That All Drivers
That Have Been Loaded In Your Computer,a Copy Of Them Are Kept In The Operating Systems Inf Folder.if There Is More Than One Driver In This Folder That Is Mean't For A Spicific Device You Will Be Prompted
As To Which Driver You Want To Install.even If You Don't Remove The Old Driver The System Will Do This For You Anyway.the System Will Still Retain A Copy Of The Replaced Driver In The Inf Folder.don't Worry,your System Knows What Its Doin.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You do not need to remove the 'drivers' if you will be using another ATI card.

:user:

Ask a Question