Remote Desktop Question - Sooner AL - Additional clarification needed

G

This is in reply to your reply on my posting on being unable to connect remote desktops. The original message and your response are posted below this note. I need some additional clarification on your advice, but first, some further information for you: I am trying to connect to another user and see his desktop across the Web. Both machines are Windows XP and have no other firewall running except that offered by XP. So, on both machines, that option is turned on. On my end, I do have an external router hooked-up that our DSL line goes into. My machine is the main one in the house to which the DSL and the router are directly linked. The desktop I'm trying to link to is another user's across the country and he has only the DSL modem going directly to his machine. We both have MSN as our ISP.

On both machines, I have followed the Windows XP instructions on installing the remote desktop Web connection (so I assume that means IIS is installed). I have also followed the Windows XP instructions on cennecting to another user's computer using Remote Desktop connection. This seems to be where I'm having all the trouble understanding and what I am referring to as "Programmerspeak" is found. Specifically, they refer to
1)"The Windows Networking name" of your server.... What's that, and where can it be found
2) What's "Your Server" referring to here? Is it my machine or his? Sounds like mine, but in the notes, they say it's the one I'm trying to connect to (i.e.- his)
3) The instructions say to type the name of the remote computer you're tring to connect to. So, what's that name??? When I put in the name he's given to his computer during initial set-up, it rejects that right away. If I put in his IP address, it at least seems like my computer tries to find his, even though eventually that's unsuccessful
4) Clicking help or ? on any of these screens returns no further help. As I search around other screens, one says, "If you can't connect, contact Microsoft Support" - and nothing else
5) There are references to Clinet and Server machines. In this set-up, I'm unclear if my machine is the client or his is....

Also, your instructions below sound like they are pointing me in the right direction, but there's still stuff in it a regular person like me can't understand. Like

1) " If your friend is behind a firewall/NAT/router then your friend needs to forward/open TCP Port 338
to the private LAN IP of their PC." I need that translated. And how do I do this? Also, I'm behind a router, but he isn't. However, we are both behind the Windows XP-provided firewall, as I mentioned earlier. What do I do with this and how do I open that port

2) " b. Both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) forwarded/opened in the firewall/NAT/router." Huh???? I don't have any idea what this is all about or how to do it

Billy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooner AL's reply to my original questions/concerns

If your friend is behind a firewall/NAT/router then your friend needs to forward/open TCP Port 338
to the private LAN IP of their PC. You would call using the public IP of your friend
firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned to them by their ISP. They can get that information b
going to the http://www.whatismyip.com site and give it to you

If you were trying to use the web based method of Remote Desktop access then you would also need..

a. IIS installed and running on the target PC or another PC on the remote network *AND* have II
Remot
Desktop access configured. In the IIS install window click on "World Wide Web Services -> Details
and check the checkbox for "Remote Desktop Web Connection"
b. Both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) forwarded/opened in the firewall/NAT/router
c. The remote ISP does *NOT* block TCP Port 80 because its against the User Agreement to run We
Servers on home networks

With all that said, if you can not make the basic Remote Desktop connection work through your route
then the web based method also will not work.

Please post additional questions concerning XP Pro Remote Desktop to the
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely news group.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BillyL said:
Oh now come on... Can't you tell from my level of frustration with this that I have certainly
tried AT LEAST this. What I said easily implies that I've been through the base-level instructions
and then some... You can safely assume that I have also been through these HELP instructions: "How
to install Remote Desktop Web Connection" and "Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Web
Connection". Both of these are IN ADDITION to the simple step you show here. Have you even ever
done this before???? Once you get past this base-level stuff in search of why my rather ordinary
set-ups can't connect, Microsoft's instructions are rife with programmer-speak about client-side
machines, server machines, machine names and IP addresses (not to mention telling you to use
"machine name", when IP address is what's really intended). Sorry, but I'm ticked Microsoft can't
make this fall-over easy for the ordinary user...

G

Client = Computer Initiating Connection (requesting resources
Server = Computer Accepting Connection (providing resources, i.e. the remote desktop

You state
"I am trying to connect to another user and see his desktop across the Web".

For this you should try using "Remote Assistance", as if you use Remote Desktop you'll logon to the remote user's computer, which will logoff their session and will lock their desktop while you're connected

Remote Assistance allows the remote user (the person you want to help) to send you a help request (via MSN Messenger). If you accept the request, you'll be able to see the other person's desktop and help them

Step-by-Step Guide to Remote Assistanc
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rmassist.msp

Using Remote Assistance to Get Help When You Need I
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/remoteassist/default.as

How to use remote assistence in Windows XP
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmass.ht

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.co

----- BillyL wrote: ----

This is in reply to your reply on my posting on being unable to connect remote desktops. The original message and your response are posted below this note. I need some additional clarification on your advice, but first, some further information for you: I am trying to connect to another user and see his desktop across the Web. Both machines are Windows XP and have no other firewall running except that offered by XP. So, on both machines, that option is turned on. On my end, I do have an external router hooked-up that our DSL line goes into. My machine is the main one in the house to which the DSL and the router are directly linked. The desktop I'm trying to link to is another user's across the country and he has only the DSL modem going directly to his machine. We both have MSN as our ISP.

On both machines, I have followed the Windows XP instructions on installing the remote desktop Web connection (so I assume that means IIS is installed). I have also followed the Windows XP instructions on cennecting to another user's computer using Remote Desktop connection. This seems to be where I'm having all the trouble understanding and what I am referring to as "Programmerspeak" is found. Specifically, they refer to
1)"The Windows Networking name" of your server.... What's that, and where can it be found
2) What's "Your Server" referring to here? Is it my machine or his? Sounds like mine, but in the notes, they say it's the one I'm trying to connect to (i.e.- his)
3) The instructions say to type the name of the remote computer you're tring to connect to. So, what's that name??? When I put in the name he's given to his computer during initial set-up, it rejects that right away. If I put in his IP address, it at least seems like my computer tries to find his, even though eventually that's unsuccessful
4) Clicking help or ? on any of these screens returns no further help. As I search around other screens, one says, "If you can't connect, contact Microsoft Support" - and nothing else
5) There are references to Clinet and Server machines. In this set-up, I'm unclear if my machine is the client or his is....

Also, your instructions below sound like they are pointing me in the right direction, but there's still stuff in it a regular person like me can't understand. Like

1) " If your friend is behind a firewall/NAT/router then your friend needs to forward/open TCP Port 338
to the private LAN IP of their PC." I need that translated. And how do I do this? Also, I'm behind a router, but he isn't. However, we are both behind the Windows XP-provided firewall, as I mentioned earlier. What do I do with this and how do I open that port

2) " b. Both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) forwarded/opened in the firewall/NAT/router." Huh???? I don't have any idea what this is all about or how to do it

Billy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooner AL's reply to my original questions/concerns:

If your friend is behind a firewall/NAT/router then your friend needs to forward/open TCP Port 3389
to the private LAN IP of their PC. You would call using the public IP of your friends
firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned to them by their ISP. They can get that information by
going to the http://www.whatismyip.com site and give it to you.

If you were trying to use the web based method of Remote Desktop access then you would also need...

a. IIS installed and running on the target PC or another PC on the remote network *AND* have IIS
Remote
Desktop access configured. In the IIS install window click on "World Wide Web Services -> Details"
and check the checkbox for "Remote Desktop Web Connection".
b. Both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) forwarded/opened in the firewall/NAT/router.
c. The remote ISP does *NOT* block TCP Port 80 because its against the User Agreement to run Web
Servers on home networks.

With all that said, if you can not make the basic Remote Desktop connection work through your router
then the web based method also will not work.

Please post additional questions concerning XP Pro Remote Desktop to the
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely news group.

--

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BillyL said:
Oh now come on... Can't you tell from my level of frustration with this that I have certainly
tried AT LEAST this. What I said easily implies that I've been through the base-level instructions
and then some... You can safely assume that I have also been through these HELP instructions: "How
to install Remote Desktop Web Connection" and "Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Web
Connection". Both of these are IN ADDITION to the simple step you show here. Have you even ever
done this before???? Once you get past this base-level stuff in search of why my rather ordinary
set-ups can't connect, Microsoft's instructions are rife with programmer-speak about client-side
machines, server machines, machine names and IP addresses (not to mention telling you to use
"machine name", when IP address is what's really intended). Sorry, but I'm ticked Microsoft can't
make this fall-over easy for the ordinary user...

S

Sooner Al

Billy...

See my responses inline... Again I recommend getting Remote Desktop running first then try the web
access method.

Also, as Patrick noted, Remote Assistance is another alternative...

Also, here is a nice glossary of terms that you might find useful...

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/glossary/blglossary.htm

--

BillyL said:
This is in reply to your reply on my posting on being unable to connect remote desktops. The
original message and your response are posted below this note. I need some additional clarification
on your advice, but first, some further information for you: I am trying to connect to another user
and see his desktop across the Web. Both machines are Windows XP and have no other firewall running
except that offered by XP. So, on both machines, that option is turned on. On my end, I do have an
external router hooked-up that our DSL line goes into. My machine is the main one in the house to
which the DSL and the router are directly linked. The desktop I'm trying to link to is another
user's across the country and he has only the DSL modem going directly to his machine. We both have
MSN as our ISP.
On both machines, I have followed the Windows XP instructions on installing the remote desktop Web
connection (so I assume that means IIS is installed). I have also followed the Windows XP
instructions on cennecting to another user's computer using Remote Desktop connection.

See item a. in my original answer. Just installing IIS on your friends PC is not enough. Your friend
also needs to configure IIS for Remote Desktop access.
This seems to be where I'm having all the trouble understanding and what I am referring to as
"Programmerspeak" is found. Specifically, they refer to:
1)"The Windows Networking name" of your server.... What's that, and where can it be found?

Use the public IP of your friends PC, not the name. Your friend can get that by going to the
http://www.whatismyip.com site and give that to you.
2) What's "Your Server" referring to here? Is it my machine or his? Sounds like mine, but in the
notes, they say it's the one I'm trying to connect to (i.e.- his).

That should be your friends PC not yours.
3) The instructions say to type the name of the remote computer you're tring to connect to. So,
what's that name??? When I put in the name he's given to his computer during initial set-up, it
rejects that right away. If I put in his IP address, it at least seems like my computer tries to
find his, even though eventually that's unsuccessful.

Again, use the public IP of your friends PC.
4) Clicking help or ? on any of these screens returns no further help. As I search around other
screens, one says, "If you can't connect, contact Microsoft Support" - and nothing else.
5) There are references to Clinet and Server machines. In this set-up, I'm unclear if my machine
is the client or his is.....

You machine is the client and your friends PC is the server in this case.
Also, your instructions below sound like they are pointing me in the right direction, but there's
still stuff in it a regular person like me can't understand. Like:
1) " If your friend is behind a firewall/NAT/router then your friend needs to forward/open TCP Port 3389
to the private LAN IP of their PC." I need that translated. And how do I do this? Also, I'm
behind a router, but he isn't. However, we are both behind the Windows XP-provided firewall, as I
mentioned earlier. What do I do with this and how do I open that port?

You should not have to do anything on your end. You friend needs to configure the ICF as follows for
Remote Desktop...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/ICF/EnableRemoteDesktop.JPG

Also make sure he checks the {Web server (HTTP)) checkbox, although that may be checked
automatically when you install IIS, but I don't know for sure.
2) " b. Both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) forwarded/opened in the
firewall/NAT/router." Huh???? I don't have any idea what this is all about or how to do it.

See above.

Ask a Question