Remote Desktop for Administration

Dave Marden

I am using a Microsoft Press book for MCSE training and it mentions that
you need to have Remote Desktop for Administration installed. Is this the
same thing as Remote Desktop or is there another one I need to add for
Remote Desktop for Admin?

Dave Marden

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Depends on what you are talking about.. The remote desktop
functionality is called "Remote Desktop" in Windows XP & Windows 2003
Server and is called "Terminal Services - Remote Administration mode"
in Windows 2000 Server... You may be seeing the nomenclature from the
Windows 2000 mode...

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Dave Marden

The term is in the Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server
2003 Environment book by Microsoft Press on page 2-2. It says that I need
"Remote Desktop for Administration installed" on my server for training
purposes.

I suspect that it means Remote Desktop but I do not want to go through
the book being confused why I don't have the functionality I need in the
book if Remote Desktop is wrong.

Any help appreciated,
Dave Marden

Jeff's right, the two are different. Don't read about the
server 2003 version if you want to learn about the XP
desktop version. They are NOT the same thing. They work
on the same pricipal, but are configured completely
different.

The term is in the Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server
2003 Environment book by Microsoft Press on page 2-2. It says that I need
"Remote Desktop for Administration installed" on my server for training
purposes.

I suspect that it means Remote Desktop but I do not want to go through
the book being confused why I don't have the functionality I need in the
book if Remote Desktop is wrong.

Any help appreciated,
Dave Marden

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-
(e-mail address removed)> wrote

Dave Marden

I am reading the 2003 Server book because I want to learn, ummm 2003 server.
Remote Desktop looks the same in 2003 server as in XP. Maybe I am not
accessing Remote Desktop Correctly. I would be in a Small Business Server
Newsgroup but they do not have one specifically for working remotely. I
thought there may be an expert in here that could help me with it even
though I am using 2003 Server.

Dave Marden

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Then that would be just the plain Remote Desktop.... The only other
thing it could reference would be the configuration MMC tools
available...

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Then that would be just the plain Remote Desktop.... The only other
thing it could reference would be the configuration MMC tools
available...

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Dave Marden

Is that all there is (tsmmc.msc /s) & (mstsc)? If so which is Remote
Desktop, and which is what the book from Microsoft Press 70-290 refers to as
Remote Desktop for Administration?

Thanks,
Dave Marden

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

I can't answer your last question since I do not have that book...

There is a Terminal Services Manager and a Remote Desktops MMC client.
MSTSC is the regular client software...

Post more with the context when it refers to Remote Desktop for
Administration. It may just be referring to using Remote Desktop for
administrative functions..... There isn't a product named as Remote
Desktop for Administration, per se.

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Dave Marden

Ok, Is it one of these that is considered Remote Desktop for Administration,
and the other considered Remote Desktop (tsmmc.msc /s) & (mstsc)? If so
which is which. I know that (tsmmc.msc /s) is only available in Server
2003, is a MMC which has a pane on the left side of the MMC which allows you
to to easily switch between Remote Desktops. AlsoI know that (mstsc) is
available on XP as well as 2003 server, which allows you to easily connect
to any pc on your network or the web (as long as your registered on that pc
as a remote user.

What I do not know however is whether one of these is considered Remote
Desktop for Administration or not. I have been asking this question for
about a week and have not yet had anyone be able to answer this question.

An example of the answer that I would like to see.

1. tsmmc.msc /s : is Remote Desktop for Administration
2. mstsc : is Remote Desktop for Administration
3. Neither of these is Remote Desktop for Administration
4. mstsc : has the tools that are used and considered to be
Remote Desktop for Administration

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

What we need is an example of the context you are seeing this...
There is no program title "Remote Desktop for Administration"...

It does not matter how you access or use Remote Desktop for
administrative purposes. They all do the same thing...

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Dave Marden

On Page 2-2 in Microsoft Press 70-290, the book says "Before You Begin"
Title, then one of the things under Before you Begin is "To Perform
practices related to the objectives in this chapter, you must have" & item 2
in this list is "Remote Desktop for Administration installed on Server01,
with Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance enabled."

This leads me to believe that thier is a program called Remote Desktop for
Administration, otherwise how would I make sure it is installed? I went
through the chapter, and it mentions enabling Remote Desktop, but doesn't
say how to install Remote Desktop for Administration. But then again, why
would they if it is already supposed to be installed right.

Its confusing, if you could clear it up for me, i would greatly appreciate
it.

Dave Marden

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Based on that context, it should have been "Remote Desktop for
administration installed on ...". Remote Desktop is Remote Desktop...
Unless you bring Windows 2000 Server into this (which you aren't),
there is no remote desktop component that has "Administration" in its
title...

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Dave Marden

I appreciate it, I have been trying to find out for sure
for about a week and a half, lol. I just wanted to make
sure I undersand correctly. It seems to me that the way
Microsoft states it in the book was misleading.

Thanks Again,
Dave Marden

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

True... There have been many minor errors like this in some of the MS
Press books that I have...