    same for explorer and application windows....

    Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?

    Si.

    Si, Oct 1, 2006

  2. Si

    R. McCarty Guest

    Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
    Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
    Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
    each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
    larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
    Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
    Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.

    R. McCarty, Oct 1, 2006

  3. Si

    Si Guest

    "R. McCarty" <> wrote in message
    > Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
    > Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
    > Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
    > each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
    > larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
    > Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
    > Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.

    Nope, that didn't work. I'm experimenting with the XP toy SyncToy and
    everytime I run it, the damn thing moves further down the desktop!!!

    Si

    Si, Oct 1, 2006
  4. Si

    R. McCarty Guest

    Not personally familiar with that PowerToy. Some applications have
    Size/Placement values that cannot be retained, such as Windows
    Defender. However, it's interesting that you say it moves every time
    you invoke it. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

    R. McCarty, Oct 1, 2006
  5. Si

    NewScience Guest

    What type of Windows comes up ... does it look anything like a Windows
    Explorer Window in any shape or form ... or a IE Window?

    NewScience, Oct 1, 2006
  6. Si

    Bob I Guest

    Si wrote:

    >>"Si" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
    >>>the same for explorer and application windows....
    >>>
    >>>Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
    >>>
    >>>Si.
    >>>

    > "R. McCarty" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
    >>Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
    >>Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
    >>each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
    >>larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
    >>Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
    >>Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
    >>Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.
    >>

    > Nope, that didn't work. I'm experimenting with the XP toy SyncToy and
    > everytime I run it, the damn thing moves further down the desktop!!!
    >
    > Si

    Cascade Windows set in Taskbar perhaps?

    Bob I, Oct 2, 2006