Release of new FightAIDS@Home application versions on BOINC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The following has been posted by WCG today regarding the forthcoming release of the new FAAH application. Please note the gradual decrease in the deadline dates for the final workunits being sent out for the old application version ;)

We are approaching the point where we will be releasing the new application version of FightAIDS@Home. This will occur mid to late next week.

This transition will be a little bumpy due to the fact that the workunits we are currently running with the current version of the FightAIDS@Home application can cause the new version to experience errors and compute incorrect results. Additionally, the workunits that work with the new application version will not run correctly under the old application version. This means that we need to ensure that all of the workunits built to run under the old application version are completed and validated prior to the change.

In order to make the transition as quick as possible we will be doing the following steps:

1) As of now, FightAIDS@Home workunits sent out will have a deadline of 4 days instead of the current 9 day deadline.

2) Starting on late Saturday and early Sunday, workunits sent out will have a deadline of 2 days.

Sometime, most likely early on Wednesday, the final workunits for the current FightAIDS@Home application version will be sent out. At that time, there will be times where no work is available for FightAIDS@Home.

In order to minimize this time, we will take steps to get those workunits validated quickly.

All members are reminded that they can check the box 'If there is no work available for my computer for the projects I have selected above, please send me work from another project (this option only applies to BOINC agents).' on the My Projects page so that they can ensure that they receive work even if we are temporarily not sending work for FightAIDS@Home.

Once the new application version is released, we will return to normal 9 day deadlines. There will be one additional positive change to processing - we will be reducing the redundancy to 2 instead of 3 for the workunits. This will allow us to complete nearly 50% more workunits with the same number of devices participating.

user.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Buddy. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It really would be good to stamp out AIDS

Too much sadness....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Ady, I'll check I've done that now :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
FAAH Work Unit Caches....

Can I suggest that everyone reduce their WU cache time to 1 day - as when Boinc downloads the latest FAAH WU's with 4 day deadlines it will start crunching those first and stall the longer deadline units - the danger therefore being that you will be left with a load of uncrunched units at the changeover time which will go to waste, or be corrupted by the new application.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Can I suggest that everyone reduce their WU cache time to 1 day - as when Boinc downloads the latest FAAH WU's with 4 day deadlines it will start crunching those first and stall the longer deadline units - the danger therefore being that you will be left with a load of uncrunched units at the changeover time which will go to waste, or be corrupted by the new application.
Done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question