Regsvr32 cmd in run--->open dialogue box

Chad Harris

David--

Sorry to be slow on the uptake but I was typing the cmds in run the way I
always have and they brought up the Open With dialogue box. Until I deleted
that file Ramesh had be delete (the one with 0 bytes and no extension) I
couldn't do this in run but could at the cmd prompt. I was trying to
understand why, and understand what Ramesh used to get this info and why
deleting the resvr32 (if extension showed) it would be .exe file helped me.
It worked; I'm trying to undertand why and what it did.

Thanks,

Chad

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You typed regsvr32 and cmd found a file by that name. You were hoping for it
to find regsvr32.exe.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Thanks Dave!

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh, very nice.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hi Chad,
|
| Saw this guy (a 0 byte file with no extension) ?
|
| - - - - -
| Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\CHAD HARRIS
|
| 10/05/2005 02:44 PM 0 regsvr32
| 1 File(s) 0 bytes
| - - - - -
|
| Go to the above location using Windows Explorer, and delete the "regsvr32"
| file. Your problem should be fixed.
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Chad,

1. "You typed regsvr32 and cmd found a file by that name" - is the best
phrase, as explained by David. When you typed regsvr32, the 0 byte is being
called. BTW, the commands gave me the list of files that have "regsvr32" in
their file name.

2. The 0 byte regsvr32 file (with no extension) is not required in any
location.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh many thanks but want to understand why fix worked. In other words
what was broken and how did the fix fix it?

This worked great Ramesh Thanks a bunch. I have two questions though so
I can understand this (Sorry I missed this answer and guess that was what
David Candy was referring to by his post of a google link--I'm not sure):

1) What was the information you got on the first commands--what do you call
it--I know the list prompted you to tell me to delete the Regsvr 32 file at
that location which I did.
2) What did deleting the regsvr 32 file at - Directory of C:\Documents and
Settings\CHAD HARRIS do to fix it. Was it corrupt? Because it worked at
cmd but not at run. Now thanks to you it works again at run.

I really appreciate the fix. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind
why it worked.

Many thanks Ramesh.

Chad