Windows XP Registry, Startup Can't be Changed!!!

Reaction score
I've run into a situation where I can't change my startup using MSCONFIG. I've tried it and the startups are still there. I've tried to change startup with SpySweeper and I've got the same results. I booted up in SAFE mode and used MSCONFIG and again I could not change my startup.

Now I see that I can't change my System Restore settings either. I can't perform a Creation of a System Restore point. So naturally I tried to disable System Restore, bootup, but System Restore has magically been re-enabled. I can't disable system restore in Safe mode either. Therefore I can never perform a System Restore now.

I ran WinASO for registry repair. It found 256 errors which I repaired. I booted up and ran WinASO again and all of the errors are still there, i.e. the registry has not changed!

Any Suggestions?

I'm running Windows XP, SP2. I had to use Norton's GoBack recently because the system got corrupted and System Restore would not work. I remember reading somewhere that System Restore can be re-registered using the REGSVR32 in the command window and pass in the DLLs used for System Restore but I've lost that link.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly? I'd do a complete format and reinstall if that is possible (i.e. you can backup your data easily). Your situation sounds quite complicated, and if the usual virus scan, anti-spyware and manual tweaking can't fix it, it might be your only option.

Was this the page you were looking for? http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srsettings.htm

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
check in spysweeper for an option to prevent the registry being changed

Reaction score
I currently use the following security software:
Avast Anti-Virus
EZ Trust Anti-Virus
Webroot's Spy Sweeper
Finjan SurfNGuard Pro

I haven't done a sweep in a while so let me try that and see if anything is missing.

If that doesn't work I'll have to reinstall my OS. My installation disks were SP1 so I guess I'll have to do that and then reinstall SP2 again.

thx, Mike

Reaction score
I Removed Norton's GoBack and that solved all of my problems. I can now update my registry, change my startup and even run System Restore!

thx, for the replies.

Ask a Question