Windows Vista Register Server error message

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I just installed a photo editing programme (rather an old one called MGI PhotoSuite, which I used to use on XP.) It took a while but did install on Vista. But, when I re-started the PC, it "stalled" and went to a green screen (completely blank). An error message appeared which stated that the Register Server had stopped working and would have to close. I clicked on okay, then the desktop appeared as normal.

Is this likely to have been caused by the new programme do you think? Or is it more of a Windows or OS kind of problem?

The photo editing prog seems to be functioning well (I have set it to run in XP SP2 compatible mode). I'd like to keep it, however, if it is going to cause a major problem I'd rather uninstall it before it can do any real "damage."

Your views/opinions would be much appreciated, thanks for looking guys
:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Is this likely to have been caused by the new programme do you think?
Yep ... is old all right, nearly as old as me. ;)

with a screen rez of 16bit 800x600 I'm surprised you got it to load up.

Roxio Acquires MGI Software

Published on Dec 3, 2001 12:00 AM

Roxio, the manufacturer of EZ CD creator announced today that they are acquiring MGI Software, a manufacturer of popular video editing software. The combination of the two companies will create a large new company with many popular software products.
About 2.3 million shares of Roxio stock will be issued to stockholders of MGI at the close of the transaction, the deal is worth about $32.8 million.

MGI's flagship product, Video Wave is bundled with many capture cards and other products.

Roxio has a reputable past with CD burning software. :lol:
Isn't it Roxio software MS balks at and the two should never meet. :D

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for replying Mucks :)

Well - and I blush - I think my disc is probably pre-Roxio (I have just read some of the small print on it, and it's copywrite is 2000 MGI Software Corp, so it's even older than I thought :eek: )

Thing is, Vista is so "forgiving" that I decided to give it a try - thinking that it would just refuse to install. But, whilst the installation seemed a tad slow, it appeared to be "happy."

Regarding the res, I previously used the prog on a laptop, but it looks absolutely "normal" on this monitor (19") so maybe the compatibility thingy is helping?

Nothing has slowed-down or seems to be behaving abnnormally (so far - other than the green screen I mentioned) .... so would it be "safe" to keep it on here do you reckon? Or am I doing a hidden mischief to the system if I keep it do you think?

Apologies for the naive questions, but thank you for looking at 'em :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do you get the green screen on every boot-up with any error message?

You did a backup/system restore point before installation?

Is, in the end, up to you ... use yesteryear's software or lash out exorbinate amounts of money on new software.

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Erm... well, I've not actually tried re-booting since the re-boot I did after installing that prog last night... that is why I was asking so many questions, because with my weird sense of logic, I thought that if the prog was thought to be "dangerous" to the system (sorry, not a particularly good choice of words) then I'd remove it and then re-boot. But if, on the other hand, it was thought to be some other fault......... you see where I'm going with this, :lol:

Yes to the System Restore question :thumb:

Re the ancient software, I have several new and shiny photo editing progs on here, but that old PhotoSuite has a feature that none of the others have, for doing "body switches" (i.e., turning relatives/friends into Roman soldiers or ancient Greeks etc. So there is a reason for me appearing to be a tight-wad :p)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Re the ancient software, I have several new and shiny photo editing progs on here, but that old PhotoSuite has a feature that none of the others have, for doing "body switches" (i.e., turning relatives/friends into Roman soldiers or ancient Greeks etc.

So that's what you do all day? :p Bet you're popular with your relatives. :D

But I know exactly what you mean. I had a freebie called Print Shop Photo Pro which came on a CD and it allowed me to do 101 things to a photo. It was fine with XP but unfortunately Vista just won't have it.

Anyone know of a good freebie system? (see, I'm also a tight wad :D )

Ask a Question