redirect network share

Steve Turner

We have file server I will call serv1
We have a new file server I will call serv2

I am moving some data from serv1 to serv2. The data is currently in a
shared folder called WORK

A user accesses the data by connecting to the share \\serv1\work

Once data is moved the user can access the data by connecting to
\\serv2\work

It is very confusing to the users to try and figure out which server
has which shares.

Is there a way to have the user always connect by typing \\serv1\work?

I would like it to be transparent to the users so if we add new
folder/shares in the future they will still just tyep \\serv1\SHARE
and be redirected to the correct file server.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Steve

Yor Suiris

If you run your own DNS for your system then make an entry there so that the
name serv1 points to the IP of serv2. Of course this assumes that serv1 will
be gone from the system or called something else.
Other wise you should look at logon scripts for drive mapping. Then when you
make changes you need only edit the scripts.

Alan Wood [MSFT]

Hi All,
Just a note, you can't access a File Server using a different name by
default, the behavior is different depending on the Client you are using.
File Servers do not allow connections to a Netbios name that does not exist
on that server.

There is another way that is specifically designed to do what you want. It
is called DFS (Distributed File System).

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/technologies/fileandprint/file/df
s/default.mspx

Note that this is for 2003 but 2000 also have DFS.

Hope this Helps,

Alan Wood[MSFT]

Steve Turner

Thanks for the response, but no the other server is not going away.
Scripts will work, but we would have to have a different script for
almost every person.

steve

Alan Wood [MSFT]

Did you look into the DFS link I sent you. This is exactly what that
product was designed for.

Thank you,

Alan Wood[MSFT]

Steve Turner

AlanWood@NoSpam ("Alan Wood" [MSFT]) wrote in message news: said:
Did you look into the DFS link I sent you. This is exactly what that
product was designed for.

Been on vacation til now. yes, this looks promising, thanks for the info.

Steve

Steve Turner

Just wanted to followup that Dfs works great for what I was trying to
do. Having some minor issues with non Domain PC's connecting to the
Dfs share, but other than that Dfs is what I needed.

Had it all along and didn't even know it.

Thanks for the help.

Steve