"Redemption Helper Outlook Extension" - What is it?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Vanguard, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Vanguard

    Vanguard Guest

    I noticed a new COM add-in listed in Outlook called:

    Redemption Helper Outlook Extension

    I don't know how new it is because it has been awhile since I took a look at
    what COM add-ins and plug-ins were installed and listed in Outlook (in
    OL2002, Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced -> plug-ins and add-ins). I
    was having a problem with a "could not complete the operation" dialog
    appearing when exiting Outlook but only if I had opened a note (not viewed
    it in the preview pane but opened it is its own window). Eventually it
    looked like the problem was caused by the Attachment Options add-in (there's
    a link to it at http://www.slipstick.com) that lets me decide which
    filetypes to exclude from security in Outlook so I can get those filetypes
    as attachments in e-mails, plus it provides a checkbox to set Outlook to
    read in plain-text mode only rather than me having to remember where in the
    registry to make the change. Once Attachment Options was disabled, the
    "could not complete the operation" error went away.

    Okay, but when looking at my add-ins, I saw this Redemption one listed. I
    cannot find any information about it at Microsoft. I found some info on it
    at http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/ so it looks to be some 3rd party's
    add-in to provide a library to get around the security update for Outlook.
    Somehow this add-in snuck into my machine. It doesn't look like malicious
    code. Could be be quite beneficial to some software provided its purpose
    isn't to circumvent the security that got added to Outlook. I don't see
    that I got an extra configurable option that lets me decide whether any
    software can use Redemption to circumvent security in Outlook.

    For now, I've disabled the Redemption Helper add-in and will remove it in a
    week, or so, after checking that Outlook still works okay. I didn't find
    the redemption.dll that is supposed to provide that actual support of the
    security-bypassing functionality. I'd like to know who is bundling
    Redemption with their stuff.

    Post replies to the newsgroup - Share with others.
    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and append "#LAH" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Nov 20, 2005

  2. Vanguard

    Vanguard Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >I noticed a new COM add-in listed in Outlook called:
    >
    > Redemption Helper Outlook Extension
    > I'd like to know who is bundling Redemption with their stuff.

    I might've found it. I started going through the other add-ins (3rd party
    ones, not those from Microsoft), and found that Outlook SpamCop (OLSpamCop)
    installs and uses the Redemption add-in. See
    http://www.olspamcop.org/download.shtml.

    I used to use SpamSource to help reporting spams from Outlook to SpamCop.
    It had problems (no toolbar button, no tab panel in options) so I switch to
    OLSpamCop.

    I'll have to rethink if I want OLSpamCop installed. The Redemption.dll
    plug-in seems to open up Outlook and bypass its filetype security for any
    application that might install (i.e., more than just OLSpamCop can now
    bypass Outlook's security and send messages without notifying the user).

    Vanguard, Nov 20, 2005

  3. You would be surprised how many developers are using this. Read up on the
    application and its uses at Dmitry's site dimastr.com.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    reading.

    After furious head scratching, Vanguard asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Nov 21, 2005
  4. Vanguard

    Pat Willener Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> I noticed a new COM add-in listed in Outlook called:
    >>
    >> Redemption Helper Outlook Extension
    >> I'd like to know who is bundling Redemption with their stuff.

    > I might've found it. I started going through the other add-ins (3rd party
    > ones, not those from Microsoft), and found that Outlook SpamCop (OLSpamCop)
    > installs and uses the Redemption add-in. See
    > http://www.olspamcop.org/download.shtml.
    >
    > I used to use SpamSource to help reporting spams from Outlook to SpamCop.
    > It had problems (no toolbar button, no tab panel in options) so I switch to
    > OLSpamCop.
    >
    > I'll have to rethink if I want OLSpamCop installed. The Redemption.dll
    > plug-in seems to open up Outlook and bypass its filetype security for any
    > application that might install (i.e., more than just OLSpamCop can now
    > bypass Outlook's security and send messages without notifying the user).

    You are right: OLSpamCop installs redemption. I never had any problem
    with it.

    Pat Willener, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Vanguard

    Vanguard Guest

    "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
    <> wrote in message
    > You would be surprised how many developers are using this. Read up on the
    > application and its uses at Dmitry's site dimastr.com.
    >
    > --
    > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
    >
    > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
    > reading.
    >
    > After furious head scratching, Vanguard asked:
    >
    > | "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > || I noticed a new COM add-in listed in Outlook called:
    > || Redemption Helper Outlook Extension
    > || I'd like to know who is bundling Redemption with their stuff.
    > |
    > | I might've found it. I started going through the other add-ins (3rd
    > | party ones, not those from Microsoft), and found that Outlook SpamCop
    > | (OLSpamCop) installs and uses the Redemption add-in. See
    > | http://www.olspamcop.org/download.shtml.
    > |
    > | I used to use SpamSource to help reporting spams from Outlook to
    > | SpamCop. It had problems (no toolbar button, no tab panel in options)
    > | so I switch to OLSpamCop.
    > |
    > | I'll have to rethink if I want OLSpamCop installed. The
    > | Redemption.dll plug-in seems to open up Outlook and bypass its
    > | filetype security for any application that might install (i.e., more
    > | than just OLSpamCop can now bypass Outlook's security and send
    > | messages without notifying the user).

    The reason why I choose to remove and uninstall this product was due to its
    description. It provides a common interface for software to bypass the
    security in Outlook, and that means once installed that any software could
    use that method. It opens the door for one product that wants it, and it
    opens the door for all the others, too. I'm sure it pretty much disguises
    what products are using it, so Outlook only sees Redemption (i.e., one
    interface used to funnel in many apps). I haven't delved into Redemption
    much, but I suspect it is the only plug-in registered and known by Outlook
    and does not require registration or setup within Outlook by the
    applications that use Redemption. I wouldn't mind Redemption being there as
    long as anything that used it was also notified and authenticated through
    Outlook. Instead of knowing which horses you let through the gate, you
    fling it open and let any and all of them out.

    Vanguard, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Hi,

    Redemption is not going to be a problem. There's a security key in
    Redemption that's used so only the software that installs Redemption can
    unlock it and use the Redemption objects that could be dangerous.

    What we do when we use Redemption (and all reputable developers who use it
    should be doing this) is to set up this AuthKey and use a customized version
    of Redemption. When we customize Redemption we change all the CLSID's for it
    to new ones so only our own software can register and use that version. Then
    the AuthKey locks down that version so only password protected access is
    allowed.

    In the 4 or so years I've been using Redemption and that it's been out on
    the market I've never yet heard of any problems that can be traced back to
    use of Redemption.

    BTW, Redemption is an Outlook Exchange extension, not a COM addin.

    Redemption is used by COM addins and any errors or whatever are the
    responsibility of the Redemption caller and not of Redemption. So there's no
    disguising of anything. In addition, many addins use Redemption and if you
    have a lot of them installed you might see multiple instances of that
    Redemption Outlook Helper Exchange extension. At any one time I might have
    at least 5 showing up in Outlook here.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Nov 21, 2005
  7. Hi,

    The Notes problem you describe is due to a replacement of a utility called
    AddInMon with an inline replacement. AddInMon was designed to work around
    some bugs in Outlook's COM addin model, where the On_Disconnection event
    only fires after all your Outlook objects have been released. The problem is
    that without On_Disconnection you don't know when to release your Outlook
    objects when Outlook is closing.

    AddInMon fixed that problem, in conjunction with some workaround code in the
    addin itself. However, the latest versions of Outlook when used with the
    latest versions of software such as ActiveSynch broke AddInMon. So we had to
    find a replacement for it.

    The inline replacement works fine except when you've opened a NoteItem as
    the last item you item before you exit Outlook. A quick change to the inline
    replacement gets rid of that error you mention.

    A revised version of Attachment Options with the revised inline shutdown
    code will be posted later today on our Web site.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Nov 21, 2005
  8. A new version of Attachment Options (1.8.18) has been posted to the
    Slovaktech Web site. It can be downloaded from there or directly from
    http://www.slovaktech.com/files/AOsetup.exe. It fixes the problem of the
    error message when a Note item is the last item opened before Outlook is
    closed.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Nov 21, 2005
  9. Vanguard

    Vanguard Guest

    "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Redemption is used by COM addins and any errors or whatever are the
    > responsibility of the Redemption caller and not of Redemption. So there's
    > no disguising of anything. In addition, many addins use Redemption and if
    > you have a lot of them installed you might see multiple instances of that
    > Redemption Outlook Helper Exchange extension. At any one time I might have
    > at least 5 showing up in Outlook here.

    When hunting around for info on Redemption, I saw various applications using
    it, like help center programs. I take it that only one redemption.dll gets
    installed but multiple registry class IDs are used against it where each is
    unique to whatever software wants to use it?

    I had your Attachment Options (latest version) installed and was getting an
    error when I closed Outlook but only if I had previously opened a note. If
    I view the note in the preview pane or open it but close Outlook with it
    still open, no problem. But if I open a note (double-click to show in its
    own window so I can edit it although editing is not required to generate the
    error) in Outlook 2002, close it, and they exit Outlook, a popup dialog
    appears telling the operation could not complete. I close that and a window
    says that my changes will not be saved to the note (even if I made no
    changes, but if I made changes they do get saved despite the message). I
    narrowed the problem down to Attachment Options. If enabled, I got the
    popup. If disabled (or uninstalled), no popup to interfere with exiting
    Outlook.

    It was while trying to figure out the above problem that I noticed the
    Redemption extension that I had not seen before. Disabling it (with
    Attachment Options still installed and enabled) did not help with the above
    problem. The last updates that I remember installing recently were for .Net
    Framework 2.0, an update for WDRM-enabled media players, and a security
    patch (KB896424).

    Thanks for the info on how Redemption works.

    Vanguard, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Vanguard

    >A new version of Attachment Options (1.8.18) has been posted to the
    >Slovaktech Web site. It can be downloaded from there or directly from
    >http://www.slovaktech.com/files/AOsetup.exe. It fixes the problem of the
    >error message when a Note item is the last item opened before Outlook is
    >closed.

    Well, version 1.8.18 fixed the Note problem in Outlook. Thanks.

    By the way, do you know what would've pushed the update to AddInMon? Would
    that have been an Office update or a Windows update? Both are together now
    at the Windows Update site. The following were listed as recent (after Nov
    12) because I would've noticed since the earlier updates installed way back
    before October 17:

    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
    Windows XPUpdate for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB902344)
    Windows XPSecurity Update for Windows XP (KB896424)

    The security patch doesn't seem like it has anything to do with Office or
    Outlook. My understanding of .Net is that the various versions can reside
    side by side so the app uses whatever version with which it is compatible.

    Vanguard, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Actually, if Redemption is customized as it should be by the developer each
    customized instance gets installed separately. It really becomes a
    completely different DLL for each installation. I customize Redemption for
    my own uses and I customize it with other names and CLSID's for various
    clients. I must have about 15 instances of Redemption installed here between
    my own uses and addins I use from other people, no conflict or any other
    interaction except when developing, where all instances share the same
    object model.

    See my other posts about the note problem when closing Outlook, a fixed
    version of Attachment Options is already posted to my Web site.

    Attachment Options doesn't use Redemption at all. Not needed, it doesn't do
    anything restricted by the Outlook object model guard.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Nov 22, 2005
  12. AddInMon isn't an MS utility. It was developed by David Kane and Randy Byrne
    of MicroEye with a little bit of help from me. It had to be developed to
    work around a serious Catch-22 bug in the Outlook COM object model
    (On_Disconnection not firing unless all objects are released, but when to
    know when to release and how to instantiate the addin if something like
    ActiveSynch started Outlook first with no UI? The only workaround for the
    On_Disconnection bug is to trap closing of visual elements).

    AddInMon hasn't been updated for a couple of years now, I think we last
    updated it in 2003 if I recall.

    Changes in how Outlook works and how things like ActiveSynch works forced us
    to discard AddInMon for an inline code replacement.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Nov 22, 2005
  13. Vanguard

    Qcompute

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Redemption Helper Outlook Extension - How to fix it!

    Hi,

    Since Avast had this weird crash and meltdown I was having trouble with an error that would open as soon as I started up Office Outlook.

    After researching and playing around with settings, I found the easiest way to get rid of this annoying errors was simply:

    Go into Tools, scroll down to Trust Centre, Click on the heading Addins, Down the bottom is an area with manage, Click on the arrow to drop the box to where it says Exchange Client Extension, then click on GO, Comes up with a box Add In Manager - there would be at least 3 boxes ticked. Simply untick the box with Redemption Helper Outlook Extension, click on ok, close down office outlook and restart the program.

    Since doing this i havent had that error pop up.

    Qcompute, Dec 11, 2009