Recovering from adware...

T

turbo

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Setup is winXP home with PC Cillin 2005 IE6.
Yesterday I picked up a Adware 'toolbar' whilst browsing the web.... Ok I used the restore point, and restored to a week ago, which got rid of it and then Used Pc-cillin 2005 , Adaware, and Trojan remover to confirm its gone....
However now when I try to access Trends PCCillin home page I find that its not available ( IE6 reports) . As its a 'safe and trusted' site I disabled the antivirus and still I can't access it. I've looked thru all IE6 security settings looking for some restricted site or something without success. I've just plugged a win98 'Old' PC in and confirmed that with that I can access Trend 's homepage, so I was able to download the latest AV files and update that way.
Any idea where I look to find 'blocked sites' that may contain the problem.
I've also installed Firefox, now and that also cannot find Trend's home page, but both IE6 and Firefox can surf the net with no other problems...

Any help appreciated..
regards

T

turbo

Answering my own question, found a tip on one of the bulletin boards that worked fine...
Navigate to WIndows/system32/drivers/ look in subfolders for file named hosts ( no extension) Open with notepad and delete all entries except 127.0.0.1 Localhost.. Save and then rightclick MyComputer, properties,system restore, and turn it OFF.
Reset PC , and turn on system restore again..
Now Trend and other antivirus sites are avaialable again...
Hope that helps someone else..
Regards
I have a problem that I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Setup is winXP home with PC Cillin 2005 IE6.
Yesterday I picked up a Adware 'toolbar' whilst browsing the web.... Ok I used the restore point, and restored to a week ago, which got rid of it and then Used Pc-cillin 2005 , Adaware, and Trojan remover to confirm its gone....
However now when I try to access Trends PCCillin home page I find that its not available ( IE6 reports) . As its a 'safe and trusted' site I disabled the antivirus and still I can't access it. I've looked thru all IE6 security settings looking for some restricted site or something without success. I've just plugged a win98 'Old' PC in and confirmed that with that I can access Trend 's homepage, so I was able to download the latest AV files and update that way.
Any idea where I look to find 'blocked sites' that may contain the problem.
I've also installed Firefox, now and that also cannot find Trend's home page, but both IE6 and Firefox can surf the net with no other problems...

Any help appreciated..
regards

G

Thank you, I have been working all day trying to get IE address bar to run.
This did the trick, except i didnt have 127.0.0.1 Localhost.

Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question