Recover console: What's the difference between FIXMBR and FIXBOOT?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Al Dykes, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    I've got an XP system with a broken grub bootloader setup. XP is in
    the first partition and I can boot the system by entering these grub
    commands

    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

    I'm playing with recovery console for the first time and see FIXMBR
    and FIXBOOT commands and the help doesn't say much.

    What's the difference?

    Is there a good guide to XP/w2k recovery techniques somewhere?

    Thanks

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Aug 21, 2006

  2. Al Dykes

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Fixboot Writes a new partition boot sector onto the system partition

    Fixmbr Repairs the MBR of the partition boot sector

    <quote>
    MBR
    Short for Master Boot Record, MBR is also sometimes referred to as the
    "master boot block" and is the first sector of the computer hard disk drive
    used to determine from which partition a computer will boot. The MBR tells
    the computer where to find and how to load the operating system. It also
    tells the computer how the hard drive is organized and provides information
    about the drive's partitions.

    The master boot record is located on the first sector of the hard drive;
    it's the first program the computer runs after performing a memory check and
    looking for a bootable disk (if set in CMOS).
    <quote>
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/mbr.htm

    For FIXBOOT HELP, paste the followwing line into Start | Run and click OK...

    hh bootcons.chm::/bootcons_fixboot.htm

    FixbootWrites a new partition boot sector to the system partition. The
    fixboot command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

    For FIXMBR HELP, paste the followwing line into Start | Run and click OK...

    hh bootcons.chm::/bootcons_fixmbr.htm

    FixmbrRepairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is
    only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

    <quote>
    FIXBOOT
    fixboot drive name:
    Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system
    partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the
    boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot
    sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the
    system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based
    computers.

    FIXMBR
    fixmbr device name
    Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command
    syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device
    that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and
    Windows cannot start.

    Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present
    or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create
    inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before
    you use this command.

    You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do
    not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for
    example:
    fixmbr \device\harddisk2
    If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table
    signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the
    MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.
    <quote>
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.