Recommendations for personal organizers?

rachelle_canada

I am looking for a freeware personal organizer and am having troubles
finding exactly what I need. Basically, I need a calendar and a to-do
list. The calendar should have weekly and monthly views to which I can
add my appointments and the to-do list needs to be able to separate
tasks by category. I was previously using Outlook and something
similar to its calendar and task functions would be useful. Does any
one have any recommendations? Thanks.

Buzzy

rachelle_canada said:
I am looking for a freeware personal organizer and am having troubles
finding exactly what I need. Basically, I need a calendar and a to-do
list. The calendar should have weekly and monthly views to which I can
add my appointments and the to-do list needs to be able to separate
tasks by category. I was previously using Outlook and something
similar to its calendar and task functions would be useful. Does any
one have any recommendations? Thanks.

May I suggest a look at this:

http://www.buzzys.net/Digita.html

or perhaps this:

http://www.buzzys.net/essentialpim.html

HTH
Cheers,
Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net

Richard Steinfeld

I've used ECCO for the last 11 years. It's now available essentially as
abandonware (anyone have a URL?). It's more than you're asking for,
extremely powerful and customizable. I'm not sure how to set it up for
categorized to-dos, but there's probably a way.

For example, the program allows any entry to be expanded into a
multi-level outline. An outline can have categorized main headings, of
course.

When I say "any entry," I mean that:
Appointments, phonebook entries, outline-only outlines: all can be made
into outlines while still retaining their basic functions.

This program stopped development at Windows 95; I've heard that it'll
run nicely under Windows XP; I'm using it with my Handspring Visor (Palm
OS).

The reason why development stopped is shrouded in mystery: it was the
top rated PIM of its time, was very popular, and has many loyal users still.

Richard

Mike Andrade

http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/pims/ecco.html

--
Mike

A bad neighbour is as great a misfortune as a good one is a great
blessing.
-- Hesiod (c. 700 BC)

Richard Kistler

rachelle_canada said:
I am looking for a freeware personal organizer and am having troubles
finding exactly what I need. Basically, I need a calendar and a to-do
list. The calendar should have weekly and monthly views to which I can
add my appointments and the to-do list needs to be able to separate
tasks by category. I was previously using Outlook and something
similar to its calendar and task functions would be useful. Does any
one have any recommendations? Thanks.

http://www.jhoodsoft.org/OutlookOrganizers.html

Chris L

I am looking for a freeware personal organizer and am having troubles
finding exactly what I need. Basically, I need a calendar and a to-do
list. The calendar should have weekly and monthly views to which I can
add my appointments and the to-do list needs to be able to separate
tasks by category. I was previously using Outlook and something
similar to its calendar and task functions would be useful. Does any
one have any recommendations? Thanks.

Mozilla Sunbird
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird.html

asp420

rachelle_canada said:
I am looking for a freeware personal organizer and am having troubles
finding exactly what I need. Basically, I need a calendar and a to-do
list. The calendar should have weekly and monthly views to which I
can add my appointments and the to-do list needs to be able to
separate tasks by category. I was previously using Outlook and
something similar to its calendar and task functions would be useful.
Does any one have any recommendations? Thanks.

Try this: http://www.essentialpim.com

Mike Andrade

Actually, there is a FREE version and a PRO version:

http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=products&pr=provsfree

Additionally, the FREE and PRO versions both come with a choice of
either Desktop or Portable use (total of four options:

http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=download
As I said, it's not freeware. Crippleware at best. Enjoy. Just
don't waste our time by recommending crap.

--
Mike

A bad sector disk error occurs only after you've done several hours
of work
without performing a backup.

Buzzy

J-Walker said:
Is Digita Organizer Win XP compatible, Buzzy?

Yes, but on installation it states that there may be aspects of it that
are not functional. I don't see any problems yet though!

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
"The World Wide Web's Rest Area"
Warning: This site contains MY
version of freeware! All are welcome!

Ron May

Message-ID said:
As I said, it's not freeware. Crippleware at best. Enjoy. Just
don't waste our time by recommending crap.

A fair reading of the FREE version features indicates it compares well
with other freeware PIMs. What is it, specifically, about this
program (in your opinion) that makes it "crap"?

Why must so many threads involve name calling and flame wars? Is it so
hard to just say "Oops, my bad, I stand corrected" (and perhaps
apologizing to "asp420" for your "moron" remark)? Even if you felt my
clarification was faulty, would it not have been more useful to other
readers to point out the shortcoming(s) you felt make it crippleware?

Mike Andrade

"Oops, my bad, I stand corrected" (and perhaps
apologizing to "asp420" for your "moron" remark)?

I would if that were the case. Crippleware is not freeware. HAND.

--
Mike

It may look to you like nothing much to be
But you should see the way it feels to me.
- David Wilcox, "You Should See The Way It Feels"

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I would if that were the case. Crippleware is not freeware. HAND.

From ACF Ware Glossary:

"Crippleware: free version of a commercial program. More limited in
features and functionality than the commercial product. Crippleware
has severe limitations. Functionality that is important to the average
user has been disabled."

I'll reprhase my question. What "severe limitations" or
"functionality that is important to the average user" is available in
Essential PIM Pro that is "disabled" in Essential PIM Free?

Here's the link, posted again for your convenience:

http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=products&pr=provsfree

Henry The Mole

Hello, Ron!
You wrote on Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:49:57 -0600:
I'll reprhase my question. What "severe limitations" or
"functionality that is important to the average user" is available in
Essential PIM Pro that is "disabled" in Essential PIM Free?

I completely agree.

Doc

Buzzy wrote:

I've used ECCO for the last 11 years. It's now available essentially
as abandonware (anyone have a URL?).

Richard

ftp.netmanage.com/support/pub/utilities/EC401 and subfolders

download everything under the EC401 folder and burn to CD, its the full
autorun installation cd containing both 16 and 32 bit versions and
networking and help and tutorials. Almost 30Mb