Rebuild Time!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good luck with the build Alf :)

Let me just say this though.

I had never built a computer with an Intel chip until my most recent build. You could say I was an AMD fanboy.

My two main machines both have 2Gb RAM, both Asus boards.

One has the AMD AM2 Black Edition Dual Core 6400 @ 3.2Ghz the other has the first edition Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4Ghz.

I can say that the Intel outperforms the AMD. Sad but true.

When it comes to brand loyalty I'm a fairweather friend only and will always go with whatever is best at the time.

Same with Nvidia and ATI (I like Nvidia at this moment in time).

Anyways, not trying to be a damp squib, just thought I had to add that. I do look forward to reading about your build :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Alf said:
As for the memory, what brand has proven its self time and time again with u guys?

Any suggestions?
Like Ian I've been using Patriot DDR2-6400 ram for a while now with my rigs and its been great, and no issues with my overclocked machines either - a bargain at that rebate price at Newegg too
nod.gif

Also I have a couple of rigs with Geil like Abarb and thats been good so far too :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Bex posted some reviews this week in Quick News :thumb:

Bottom line Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz) compared to a Q6600 (2.4GHz) - poorer power consumption, generally poorer benchmarks, poorer for overclocking.

Conclusion

I can’t say that quad-core AMD processors using new B3 stepping surprised today. Against the background of quad-core Intel processors, they still look not very convincing falling behind the competitors in terms of performance, power consumption and overclocking potential.

Nevertheless, we can’t help stressing the fact that AMD is moving in the right direction trying to improve their Phenom X4 family at any rate. Namely, they have really rapidly fixed the notorious TLB bus that harmed the image of all processors on K10 micro-architecture a lot. Moreover, they have also increased the processors clock speeds, which is a definite advantage. The top Phenom X4 processors have even managed to catch up with the youngest Core 2 Quad representatives. Unfortunately, there is no performance parity to talk about just yet, but the gap between AMD and Intel has definitely grown smaller.

But the most important thing is that AMD have adjusted their price policy in a very smart way. Namely, the official price for AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition processor is set at $235, which is less than what the cheapest quad-core Intel processor is currently selling for. AMD Phenom X4 9750 will be offered for $215, while the youngest model – Phenom X4 9550 – is priced at $195. This way AMD has finally given up unjustified illusions and is going to offer their Phenom X4 processors at reasonable and fair prices for their performance level.

And it means that quad-core AMD CPUs will become more popular as a basis for inexpensive multi-threaded systems that may be of interest to certain user groups out there. For example, as inexpensive computers for rendering and media content processing tasks.

In conclusion I would like to say that triple-core processors that AMD starts distributing among their OEM partners these days may boast even better marketing potential than Phenom X4 the way we know it today. The price of the triple-cores is going to be even more affordable despite their relatively high computational power in multi-threaded apps. Phenom X3 8600 working at 2.3GHz will sell at about $175, while Phenom X3 8400 with 2.1GHz frequency will be priced at around $150. However, we are going to discuss Phenom X3 a little later when these processors acquire B3 stepping and become available in retail segment.
Prices at Overclockers:

Phenom 9750 (2.4GHz) £150

Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz) £170

Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz) £143

I know what I would buy if building a whole new system.......the Phenom only really makes sense if you already have a motherboard in my opinion.

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with either Corsair or Kingston. This is less likely a brand issue than using the motherboard mfr's list of compatible ram - it always works, whatever I buy.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
...I know what I would buy if building a whole new system.......the Phenom only really makes sense if you already have a motherboard in my opinion.
Or, maybe if you want to take advantage of 780G integrated graphics. Otherwise, Intel is the nuts these days.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd actually read that review Bex posted :D

I do believe senility is setting in..... :lol:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well Ive been a AMD fanboy since my first build, although i know Intel is kicking some serious arse - if i dont support em, who will? :)

Soo many RAM suggestion, tis boggles the mind :D
I have heard quite a few bad things from Patriot memory, but then again i have heard bad things from every make.

Newf, i dont really care for intergrated graphics.... thats what my 2x 8800GTs are for :p

So far im thinking about Kingston, Corsair, Crucial and Geil.
Hey Mucks, which one uses the best 'chips'? :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I do plan on Ocing the Phenom too, At one site they managed to get it to 3.0GHz on air. I hope to get it at 2.7 GHz hopefully :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i see that u guys are listing 800 Mhz memory, do you think i should get the fastest the motherboard can support (1066 Mhz)?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
At a 3GHz overclock using say 300x10, then 800MHz ram will be fine running at 1:1 with FSB - personally I don't see the point in using higher price 1066MHz memory at that kind of clock.

However 1066 memory will of course future proof you to some extent for when AMD bring out a better quad :thumb:

Crucial use the higher quality micron chips on all their memory, others sometimes do depending on model - but to be honest any of those you listed will be fine (and Patriot too!) - just go on price.

Well Ive been a AMD fanboy since my first build, although i know Intel is kicking some serious arse - if i dont support em, who will? :)
I'm sure they will be very grateful for your charitable contribution to their coffers - I guess I like to get better value for my hard earned money :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always used Crucial and Corsair.

I bought 2Gb OCZ memory just over a year ago (DDR2 800Mhz) and both sticks died at once, which was quite odd.

I managed to get a full refund as they were just in warranty (from e-buyer) and replaced them with Corsair memory, which have been fine since.

I have four identical sticks of Corsair spread between two machines, I'm thinking of putting all four in my main machine running Vista (see sig) and trying 2Gb of Patriot memory myself to replace the two sticks of Corsair I'll be taking out.

The only memory I've heard bad things about apart from the generic stuff is Geill but that was two or three years ago, there were a whole spate of complaints about it and it got some very bad reviews.

Maybe they were teething problems as they hadn't been in the market long then, as lots of members here favour Geill memory now.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I may as well grab the 1066 Mhz stuff, seeing how its not much more expensive than the 800 Mhz.

My desicion is leaning toward Crucial.....

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Alf - any of those listed will be fine....just go by price :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Quad channel memory?
thats a little too much, even for me :D
Dual channel is good enough for me.

Andy, i figured some one would say that :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quad is definitly the way . Don't fall by the wayside . Go Quad .

He he he .

laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question