Re: DVD DRIVE NOT OPENING ON MY SONY VAIO

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by smlunatick, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. smlunatick

    smlunatick Guest

    Retstart the Vaio and during the booting process, can you try to open
    the DVD drive?

    You could also try the Eject option when you right click thr DVD drive
    on "My Computer."

    Shutdown the Vaio. Then, if you have an "emergency" eject hole
    (near/under DVD tray/slot) insert a "straightened" paper clip. You
    should be able to "manually" eject the DVD disc.

    If you do not have a disk stuck inside the DVD drive, then you may have
    a "dead" drive.

    smlunatick, Dec 29, 2006

  2. smlunatick

    Malke Guest

    webstar123 wrote:

    > Thanks I do believe it is a dead drive maybe. The eject did not work in
    > "my
    > computer"- How do I replace the drive? Buy any drive? I will try the
    > paper clip there is no disc in there as far as I know- I dont see any
    > emergency hole

    Replace the drive with one you want. If you don't have a DVD burner, that
    would be a good choice. Whether you can just buy one off the shelf depends
    on your computer. Look at the front. Will the machine take a standard drive
    or does it have some sort of fancy front that will require you to purchase
    a specific drive from Sony? Only you can answer that since only you can see
    the computer.

    Physically replacing an optical drive is extremely easy. Go to Sony's tech
    support site for your specific model computer to see how to open the case,
    or read the manual if the machine came with one. Open the case with the
    computer unplugged and remove the old drive. Look at the jumper on the back
    and set the new drive's jumper to be identical. Install the drive and all
    should be well.

    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/cdrom/index.html

    If you are uncomfortable working inside your computer, take the machine to a
    professional computer repair shop.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 29, 2006

  3. smlunatick

    JohnO Guest

    > Thanks I do believe it is a dead drive maybe. The eject did not work in
    > "my
    > computer"- How do I replace the drive? Buy any drive? I will try the
    > paper
    > clip there is no disc in there as far as I know- I dont see any emergency
    > hole

    There's a hole there...they all have them. About the size of a large paper
    clip wire, or a bit bigger. If you push a wire in there, go perfectly
    straight in. The door will slide open a bit, then you can--carefully and
    slowly--pull it out. The larger paper clips work better, but small ones are
    OK.

    Before you replace the drive...do any of the drive's lights come on, ever?
    The power connector on the back of the drive could be loose. Wiggle the four
    power wires that go to the back of the drive, especially the yellow and red
    ones. If, after all that, the drive is still unresponsive, you need a new
    one.

    -John O

    JohnO, Dec 29, 2006