RE: Back Again - rd two link on TOC can't find page

G

You didn't need to create a subweb, a folder would do.

Just create a folder called newsletters. Put all your newsletter files there. Create a hyperlink to each.

I think your problem is in your directory structure as in:
http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/Feb2004pg1.htm verses
http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA04pg1.htm

Notice the differences?

I also like to keep my files lower case to satisfy some servers that are case sensitive.

I like the clean look of your site, supports the KISS theory. Put the newsletter link on each page.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

wp,

Molly need a subweb for each, as each newsletter has it own theme/shared border/navigation structure
applied.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

wp said:
You didn't need to create a subweb, a folder would do.

Just create a folder called newsletters. Put all your newsletter files there. Create a hyperlink to each.

http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/Feb2004pg1.htm verses
http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA04pg1.htm

Notice the differences?

I also like to keep my files lower case to satisfy some servers that are case sensitive.

I like the clean look of your site, supports the KISS theory. Put the newsletter link on each page.
have a link that goes to March/April newsletter BUT it isn't working when I go to the internet, pull
up the website and go to that page to check.instructed, but can't get my March/April newsletter link to work. The path goes as follows:
http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA04pg1.htm When I check the website through the
internet the path above shows, but no information of March/April comes up.

G

Thomas:

Thanks for the reply. If it was that simple to just add everything into one file, it would be so great and no problem. With the shared border problem, a subweb is good. It is just getting the links to work to that front page of each months newsletter.

G

wp:

Thanks for your reply about just adding everything into one file, but with my particular situation, it doesn't work and allot of head ache. Subwebs are necessary due to the shared border issue. Each months newsletter information is difference therefore I need to either add or delete navigation links...so big problem.

My problem now is getting the link to work in my TOC that I created myself. It isn't a FP component. I can't get the link to my March/April front page on the TOC to link right therefore it doesn't work. My path when I do look at my website navigation link "newsletter" to "TOC" works fine, it is the link to the "front page" of the newsletter it can't find. IF you want check it out at www.nooksack-tribe.org.
Click on "newsletter" and then you will go to the "TOC". Click on Feb it works fine. Click on "March/April" you won't find the page...look at the path in the address bar as you look at both Feb and March/April. My eyes are really tired and I can't see what is wrong. Thanks.

G

Thomas:

You stated, and I do see the difference. The problem is what to do or how do I fix it?

I noticed that the first directory structure works fine....February when clicking on it.
I noticed that since I added MarApr04 (another subweb), I started having problems.

The second directory structure should look like this:
www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA2004pg1.htm. The one above is the wrong page (MA04pg1).

If I was to the directory structure: Newsletter/MarApr04/MA2004pg1.htm, and take out the "MarApr04" and it would looke like this: Newsletter/MA2004pg1.htm, the page still wouldn't show up. Thanks again...what to do???

Should I go back and change the "Newsletter" to lowercase "newsletter"?

You also wrote:
Put the newsletter link on each page.

Just so I have a clear meaning. Do you mean put the "newsletter" link on all of my web pages?

G

Sorry, the differences were so small I just didn't notice it. Not having read the original post didn't help.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Molly,

Basically, you need to create a subweb for Feb2004 and Mar2004 and then publish correct newsletters
to each, then change your TOC link to point to the correct folder (subweb)

Drop me an email if you need additional help.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

molly said:
Thomas:

You stated, and I do see the difference. The problem is what to do or how do I fix it?

I noticed that the first directory structure works fine....February when clicking on it.
I noticed that since I added MarApr04 (another subweb), I started having problems.

The second directory structure should look like this:
www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA2004pg1.htm. The one above is the wrong page (MA04pg1).

If I was to the directory structure: Newsletter/MarApr04/MA2004pg1.htm, and take out the
"MarApr04" and it would looke like this: Newsletter/MA2004pg1.htm, the page still wouldn't show up.
Thanks again...what to do???

G

No problem, but I still think it's the structure. Looks like you may have created a subweb inside a subweb.
Have you considered using link bars and associating them with your navigation structure? Although they work inside shared borders, a page's navigation display can be individually configured.

G

Thomas:

I thought I did create a Feb subweb "Newsletter" and then MarApr04. Or did I do this wrong? Wouldn't I create a subweb off of "Newsletter" or "My Webs". I am really confused now. What is the correct way of creating subwebs? Did I create a subweb within a subweb? All of Feb 2004 newsletter information is in "Newsletter" and then off of "Newsletter" I created another subweb (I thought I did anyways) "MarApr04". I am really new at creating subwebs and I though I followed the instructions in this book I have right. HELP..............!!!

G

wp:

So by creating a subweb "Newsletter" and then another subweb off of Newsletter, I created a subweb within a subweb? What did I do wrong?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Molly,

Newsletter should be a subweb with just the TOC.htm file and a subweb for each newsletter within it.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

molly said:
Thomas:

I thought I did create a Feb subweb "Newsletter" and then MarApr04. Or did I do this wrong?
Wouldn't I create a subweb off of "Newsletter" or "My Webs". I am really confused now. What is
the correct way of creating subwebs? Did I create a subweb within a subweb? All of Feb 2004
newsletter information is in "Newsletter" and then off of "Newsletter" I created another subweb (I
thought I did anyways) "MarApr04". I am really new at creating subwebs and I though I followed the
instructions in this book I have right. HELP..............!!!

T

Thomas A. Rowe

wp,

In order for Molly to follow your example, she would not be able to use shared borders, themes, or
the navigation component. (Just want to make this clear to Molly)

Overall the best approach would be to create the newsletters in Word or Publisher, then convert to a
PDF file, then just upload and create a link to each PDF issue of the newsletter.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

wp said:
Molly,

I visited your site and see that you are displaying only 1 newsletter in a subweb.
That seems to be a waste of space and resources, in 2 years you will have 10 or 20 subwebs, each
containing a border folder, images,etc.
If all you need to do is change the nav menu for a single page, then just don't include the shared
border on that page. Here's how I set mine:
In your root directory, create a folder called newsletters.
Make a new page and save as newsletter_template.htm
On page properties, select don't publish (unless you will use it live on your site)
On the page go to format/shared borders, unselect any you don't want to use. Make sure you select "current page".
Insert a 100% wide 1 row table at the top of the page, and insert your header/banner as desired
(you can copy/past to do this).
Next, insert a 100% wide 2 column table below your header table.
Open your index page and copy everything in the left border and paste it in the left column on the
template page. Adjust the column size to suit.
When you create a new newsletter, open the template and save as whateverdate.htm. Put your
newsletter text in the right border. You can add and/or delete any menu items already in the left
column as it applies to your newsletter without affecting the entire site. Or you could just link
any text in the newsletter. Save the files in the newsletter folder and link to them as usual.
If you have photos in newsletters, also create a folder for them such as photos_march. This way
it is quite easy to remove them when they become extinct.
It may not be the "best" way to do it, but it works for me with several webs and differing
templates, and it's very simple. You could also make a .pdf and link to it directly, but the
program may not be cost effective.
situation, it doesn't work and allot of head ache. Subwebs are necessary due to the shared border
issue. Each months newsletter information is difference therefore I need to either add or delete
navigation links...so big problem.component. I can't get the link to my March/April front page on the TOC to link right therefore it
doesn't work. My path when I do look at my website navigation link "newsletter" to "TOC" works
fine, it is the link to the "front page" of the newsletter it can't find. IF you want check it out
at www.nooksack-tribe.org."March/April" you won't find the page...look at the path in the address bar as you look at both Feb
and March/April. My eyes are really tired and I can't see what is wrong. Thanks.TOC I have a link that goes to March/April newsletter BUT it isn't working when I go to the
internet, pull up the website and go to that page to check.instructed, but can't get my March/April newsletter link to work. The path goes as follows:
http://www.nooksack-tribe.org/Newsletter/MarApr04/MA04pg1.htm When I check the website through the
internet the path above shows, but no information of March/April comes up.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

wp,

I wasn't disagreeing with your suggestion, but I could have been a little more clear in my
clarification for Molly about not being able to use Shared Borders, etc. that it only applies to the
newsletter subweb.

As far as creating PDFs, I believe it was Steven Easton that post a link a few month back to a free
PDF creator application, CutePDF Writer, which actually works very well.

http://www.acrosoftware.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

wp said:
Hi Thomas,

I suggested this because I see the same theme used in the subweb and on the site. The only
differences are the header and any links and these are easily inserted especially if it's only for 1
page. Molly also indicated she is making her "toc" manually so that should not be an issue. Shared
borders can continue to be used throughout the site except on the newsletters or any other page she
desires.
In my post I suggested the pdf format, but she may not have financial resources for the program.
I now use pdf for such items in my webs, but it wasn't always that way.

G

heheheh, guess I wasn't too clear either. No offense taken or implied.
Electing to create a subweb for the purpose of having a shared border when there is only going to be one page displayed.... She would need to create a new border content for each newsletter, each needing to have it's own pics etc. imported. That is too much like work.

I seem to recall the pdf writer mentioned. Never tried it since the company now produces newsletters in pdf. Suppose I could get away with converting a file there now and then? ;<)

T

Tom Pepper Willett

You mean your Adobe didn't come with a help file? That's where it tells you
how to create PDFs. ;-)

If you are using MS Publisher 2003, it should have an automatic creation
tool that is installed when you install Adobe Acrobat.

If it's an earlier vesion of Publisher, It's as simple as having the
Publisher page(s) open and go to File | Print and under printer selection,
you would select Adobe PDF.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
---
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
Understanding FrontPage:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Support Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;fp10se
===
molly said:
Thomas:

Your suggestion about the pdf is what I wanted to do with this newsletter
problem to begin with. My problem is: I will always get the monthly
newsletter created in MS Publisher with lots of art/images. I don't know
how to covert Publisher documents in PDF. If I could use PDF and just have
a link to the monthly newsletter I would do it. It would save me allot of
head ache. I do have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional. Suggestions on how to
do the conversion of a MS Publisher file to a PDF file would be GREAT, and
then I will not have to deal with subwebs. Thanks

G

Tom:

The help file in Adobe didn't do me justice. It had minimal information on how to convert Publisher to a PDF.

G

wp:

My greatest and most important question is how does Adobe work with MS Publisher and the art/images pages may have in them. Will the conversion completely wipe the art/images out?

2. When converting a pub file do you have to do each page separate when converting?

As for what I have done with the current subweb, I created two subwebs under the root directory. One for February2004 and one for MarchA2004. My TOC has been place in the root directory. I am at a point to where i am still trying to get the information to publish. Right now, my TOC isn't working right when I click on February or MarchA. Page cannot be found.

G

You have to open the file in publisher, then use the file/print and select AdobePDF.
It will create a new file to whatever_you_want_today.pdf
And yes, it does a great job and even makes the file a lot smaller. A recent pub file I converted went from 12,557 kb to 274 kb. That's like about 2% of the original.
Have not tried CutePDF because I don't have a need for it.
It will convert the entire file, but I don't know if bookmarks are preserved.

T

Tom Pepper Willett

Molly:

I strongly recommend you use the Adobe help files to learn how to create a
pdf.

--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
---
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
Understanding FrontPage:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Support Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;fp10se
===
molly said:
Tom:

Also, once you go through the process of conversion to Adobe Acrobat, are
there other steps? what is the next process after selecting Publisher
page(s) open and go to File | Print and under printer selection you would
select Adobe PDF?

G

wp:

Thank you for your reply. The reason I asked so many questions about this because I went to the "help" files of Adobe Acrobat, and the help files are very limited in how to work with something in Adobe. I even bought a Adobe Acrobat 6 PDF bible, and it was very limited on information. It states in the book that converting publisher documents is more difficult to convert files from publisher to pdf.

Tell me one more thing.............for images/clip art, I can't seem to get a clear answer on this question......how does the conversion work with images/clipart. Once I covert the files over to pdf, will I have to add the art/images to those documents again, or will they be converted along wtih the text?

Ask a Question