RAID and a computer that won't boot

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

Got a call from son-in-law in a panic. He has WinXP and a RAID hard drive
arrangement (I'm not a RAID person so don't know which type but it results
in all of his files being distributed 1/2 on each drive). Here is what I
know:

He can't boot to the point of getting the logo - gets and error message
about one of the vgaoem files.
His bios 'sees' both hard drives
He tried booting with the xp disk in the CD and got to the point of having a
choice of installing a fresh copy, repair or exit. Either the install or the
repair comes back and tells him it can't find a drive

My conclusion from all of this is that he must have a corrupted hard
drive(s) but I have no other knowledge of how to fix it. I would appreciate
any advice on what the problem might be and how to best go about isolating
and fixing it.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

CJT

Colonel said:
[...]

Sounds like time for some high priced support from Microsoft -- they'll
love him for it.

Bob Knowlden

"all of his files being distributed 1/2 on each drive" sounds like RAID 0
(striping).

The XP installation routine can't see the RAID array unless drivers for it
are installed. The normal way to do this is to press the F6 function key at
the right point during the installation process, and then to insert a floppy
with the drivers when prompted later. (I'd hope that your son-in-law knows
this already, if he is using a RAID setup, but I mention it just in case.)

The only reference I've found to vgaoem is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315338

It has nothing to do with the RAID drivers, though. (I believe that it's
related to system fonts.)

I wish you both luck. It may turn out to not be a major disaster.

Bob Knowlden

Colonel Blip

Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:58:53 -0500:

Thanks Bob. I would forward your message but he is dead in the water so will
phone him later. <g>

He is a neophyte when it comes to computers. He had this machine build by a
local and in all of my discussions with him in the past his understanding
about RAID has been non-existent. Don't know if he has the floppy but will
talk to him and see if he can do this.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

BK> "all of his files being distributed 1/2 on each drive" sounds like RAID
BK> 0 (striping).

BK> The XP installation routine can't see the RAID array unless drivers for
BK> it are installed. The normal way to do this is to press the F6 function
BK> key at the right point during the installation process, and then to
BK> insert a floppy with the drivers when prompted later. (I'd hope that
BK> your son-in-law knows this already, if he is using a RAID setup, but I
BK> mention it just in case.)

BK> The only reference I've found to vgaoem is:

BK> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315338

BK> It has nothing to do with the RAID drivers, though. (I believe that
BK> it's related to system fonts.)

BK> I wish you both luck. It may turn out to not be a major disaster.

BK> Bob Knowlden

BK> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

BK> ??>> Hello, All!

Colonel Blip

Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:58:53 -0500:

I let him know about this and he went to work and made a floppy off of his
CD and did the F6 thing and got his drives back. Had to reinstall everything
however so he is only a happy, not ecstatic, camper.