Is a Raid0 install worth doing?

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

I have 2 Maxtor 80gb drives, not identical models. One is 8meg cache; the
other 2 meg. I have an Asus A7V8X m/b and an AMD AthlonXP overclocked to 800
mhz (not exactly a power system).

Right now the drives are set up as straight IDE drives, partitioned into
several logical drives. In total they are about 40% used/60% free space.

Can this system be converted to raid0?
Would there be sufficient speed increase to make it worth doing?
What value card is advised for the raid controller?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

J. Clarke

Colonel said:
Hello, All!

I have 2 Maxtor 80gb drives, not identical models. One is 8meg cache; the
other 2 meg. I have an Asus A7V8X m/b and an AMD AthlonXP overclocked to
800 mhz (not exactly a power system).

Right now the drives are set up as straight IDE drives, partitioned into
several logical drives. In total they are about 40% used/60% free space.

Can this system be converted to raid0?
Would there be sufficient speed increase to make it worth doing?
What value card is advised for the raid controller?

It can be done, but there's not much point to it unless you have a
specialized application.

Colonel Blip

I/O.

??>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
P> Newsgroups
??>>

Peter

I/O is a popular acronym for Input/Output. Still not sure what I/O you want
to make faster.
Maybe if you provide your measurement procedure, it will be easier to
help...
Also, additional test conditions usually greatly affect performance numbers,
please keep that in mind.