Raid 0

Reaction score
hi all

i've spent the best part of this year working with lots of different types of raid.

RAID 1, RAID 5 mainly.

Not had much experience with RAID 0 so I decided to set this up at home.

It's with 2 X 160 gb WD's
slight difference in model number but i've set it up properly.

Everyone kept on telling me RAID 0 is all about speed. I've got no OS installed on it at the moment but I have partitioned the drive in windows three ways. I am using XP with a machine with 2 gbs and xp 3200.
Hardly the fastest.

I've copied files over, cut and paste between the partitions on the drive but it all seems about the same as normal.....

So what can I do to test the speed? What kind of tests can I do to see how fast it is?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There isn't a great deal of difference in speed between a single hard disk and a RAID 0 hard disk set up, I have mentioned this before when discussing RAID setups. It may work a little smoother but the only difference you'll see in real terms is with benchmarks.

Download the ATTO benchmark: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/123/mirrors.php and give that a whirl.

I haven't used the one from that link, I have quite an old version.

The only significant increase in speed using a RAID 0 setup, I have found, is when you couple it with a pair of Raptor disks spinning at 10,000rpm each.

This I have found to be faster than both a single disk; a pair of 7200rpm disks in RAID 0 and a single Raptor disk. It just works.

Mind you, Vista managed to slow it down... :lol:

A RAID 0 setup is also more prone to non recovery should the mbr become corrupted as Windows can't effect a repair across two disks.

But I like it :)

Reaction score
thanks for the link I agree raptors would be better but too damn loud! I bet they are loud.

I am contemplating my options here

might try that other stuff
its called jbod then there was 0+1 and 1+0 ahh all confusing but want to give em a go.

Reaction score
mmm I dont know if this is a true test because my main os drive no raid just normal
is **** lot faster than the raid

both read and write! The reading is about the same but the writing to the raid 0 has abysmal speeds

damn

there must be something im doing wrong

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Raptors are loud. Newer generations are quieter but they still loud compared to your average Hitachi or Samsung SATA II.

The stripe size is a determining factor in speed.

I always favoured 16, seemed to work best but if you search the web you'll find a whole school of heated debate on the subject :)

Reaction score
Well Flopps I think those Raptors would make more noise than my ex girlfriend used to. But I don't see the neighbours coming round to complain about the noise of hard drives over groans and moans of a pleasurable nature . What do you reckon?

p.s I always favoured 68 and then she owed me one haha

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well Flopps I think those Raptors would make more noise than my ex girlfriend used to. But I don't see the neighbours coming round to complain about the noise of hard drives over groans and moans of a pleasurable nature . What do you reckon?

p.s I always favoured 68 and then she owed me one haha

May I remind you, my hormonally happy forum dweller, that this is a family hangout and as such we could do without recollections of your carnal adventures and indeed without that cuss word earlier whatever it was.

I thank you :)

PS: The Raptors are also expensive.

Ask a Question