RAID 0+1 or 1+0?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK here's one for you more techy guys - just about to put my order in for the bits for my new rig, and was pondering the following:

Originally I was going for 2 x HDs in RAID 0 for OS/Programs, and a single HD for storage.

However if I get another HD for storage and stripe it to the other in RAID 1, what then is the best config for them all in terms of speed and security?

Is it better to have a RAID 0+1 or 1+0 array?

Now here's where I betray my total lack of knowledge on this subject - if I do stripe my storage drives in RAID 1, will they automatically save everything including the OS/Programs that are on the RAID 0 HD's? ie are they just mirroring the RAID 0? - or is it that which is dependent on which way round you stripe - 0+1 or 1+0?

And also is it worth the extra expense of buying another storage HD and striping or am I better off just making regular back-ups on DVD?

God I'm getting confused!!!:confused:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
OK here's one for you more techy guys - just about to put my order in for the bits for my new rig, and was pondering the following:

Originally I was going for 2 x HDs in RAID 0 for OS/Programs, and a single HD for storage.

However if I get another HD for storage and stripe it to the other in RAID 1, what then is the best config for them all in terms of speed and security?

Is it better to have a RAID 0+1 or 1+0 array?

Now here's where I betray my total lack of knowledge on this subject - if I do stripe my storage drives in RAID 1, will they automatically save everything including the OS/Programs that are on the RAID 0 HD's? ie are they just mirroring the RAID 0? - or is it that which is dependent on which way round you stripe - 0+1 or 1+0?

And also is it worth the extra expense of buying another storage HD and striping or am I better off just making regular back-ups on DVD?

God I'm getting confused!!!:confused:
Hello mate, right let's have a go at this ....

First up, I believe you need to be looking at RAID 0+1 (althought I have often heard this referred to as RAID10. Thinking logically, you need to strip the data across the two initial drives (RAID 0) before you then mirror the whole configuration (RAID 1), otherwise, I'm not really sure of the benefit!

To correctly setup any such RAID system you wil need to start from scratch with a new O/S implementation assuming that you want the C Drive to form part of the RAID.

So long as you build the RAID correctly (normally via the BIOS in P/SATA, or hardware config if using PCI etc) before installing the O/S you should have no problems with it mirroring all your C (+ other) drives completely.

However, just one catch to be aware of. RAID1 will mirror everything, so if you delete a file it will be immediately removed from the "complimentary" drive. This setup is ideal for RESILIENCE, ie drive failure, but I never think of RAID as being a backup. There is no replacement for having an off-line device such as DVD, or even a portable HDD which I use due to capacity.

Bear in mind that all the drives need to be of equal spec to fully optimise any RAID configuration. The function will always take the spec of the slowest , smallest drive, and then bring everything down to that.

Hope his is of some help, don't be afraid to come back with anything else. Cheers Ady.

CI

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the help CI :thumb:

From what your saying then, in reality unless I'm really concerned about my OS/Programs being lost due to a RAID 0 HD failure (which I'm not particularly, its just a pain re-installing), then I might as well just have a seperate non-raid storage drive for my important stuff like files, music, photos etc and save my money?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
To be practical, unless you are really concerned about your C drive, it would be a pain to re-build everything just to achieve RAID.

As regards your data, you may be able to configure a different RAID (if your MOBO has got sufficient P/SATA channels) just to support your D drive (or other data area). Alternatively, depending on how valuable the data is, you may like to consider an external RAID like mine (they do come much smaller!) which can be hooked up via USB2 or FW800 which is much better.

If you use your MOBO you could create a mirror (RAID 1) for your data, but leave your existing C drive as a native config.

The possibilities are endless .......... Bet you never thought RAID could be so much fun!:p

Reaction score
You wont get any additional storage space for RAID 0 + 1

You want a RAID 0 Array + 1 HDD for Storage

OR

2x RAID 0 Arrays (Maybe 2x 74gb Raptors for Windows and 2x 80Gb SATA-II Drives to give you a 160Gb drive)

Work out the difference in price between the one storage drive you would get, and two SATA II drives that are half the capacity, so you can RAID them.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You wont get any additional storage space for RAID 0 + 1
I know it's early in the day,:p but how do you figure that?

The RAID 0 will produce an enlarged (composite) drive and then the RAID 1 will mirror it. Not the most efficient use of disc space may be. If I was building from scratch, I would chuck 4 identical discs at it and then use a RAID 5 config. Admitedly, with a RAID 5, I would suggest using 10K or even 15K drived to compensate for the speed, but that would be for a business solution.

As I said Chris, so many options, so much fun ....:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok, I've decided - I'm going to get 2 x 80GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA II for a RAID 0 and a Samsung 160GB for a separate storage HDD - does this seem OK?

I'm open for further suggestions:D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Ok, I've decided - I'm going to get 2 x 80GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA II for a RAID 0 and a Samsung 160GB for a separate storage HDD - does this seem OK?

I'm open for further suggestions:D
Can't comment on the actual drives as I am new to the SATA world myself, but as for the principle, it sounds pretty good to me.

Good luck Ady:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the help CI and Chris - I've gone for the option as per my last post - all ordered, and should have a new AMD 64 X2 3800+ system up a running in a few days!:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I know Im going to regret this - but what does K.I.S.S. mean then Mucks :blush:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Doh!!
1087.gif

:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I know Im going to regret this - but what does K.I.S.S. mean then Mucks :blush:
Keep It Simple Silly.

I'm a little more polite ... ;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
i meant you wouldnt get any extra space just mirroring an array...

Good choice mate.
Ah right, now I'm with ya Chris. I've also now had the chance to wake up!:D

Ask a Question