RAID set up SSD

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ok here goes. I am new to RAID, but have been reading up a fare bit abut it and I am seriously thinking of going down this route. At the moment my main rig has 2 x Western Digital 1.5 TB drives in it.
I also have 2 x Excelstar 160 gig drives which came out of an old machine. They are about 2 years old and to be honest were never really used. The machine they cam from was built, but been away at work I very rarely used it. The MoBo on said machine died, hence me having 2 spare drives.
Ok here is my plan. I am not a big gamer. I play a bit of Doom, Quake, C.O.D and GTR Evolution. My main vice if you would like to call it that is music. At a rough guess I would say I have 6o gig of music on my main machine.
Now as the title might show I want to go down the route of RAID and would also like to have a look at using Solid state Drives.

What I would like to do is use 2 of thesedrives set up in RAID as the main drives for the OS ( Windows 7 Ultimate dual Linux Mint)
Then I would like to use the two Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB as the main storage for all my music, videos and when I get into gaming properly as a space for game saves.
Then I would like to use the two Excelstar 160 drives for any programs I have. eg Photo shop, Rapid CSS, Rapid Php and a few other Siemans programs which are work related.
I will be using a LSI LOGIC SER523 6 Port RAID controller card.

Your thoughts and views are more than welcome. What do you think of the SSD's I have chosen ? Yes they are small, but will only be carrying the OS. And then there is what RAID set up do I go for ? 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.
There is also the posibility in the future 4 more WD Caviar 1.5TB drives might be added. I am working on that deal as we speak. Private sale through a friend. And he be talkng his time deciding what he wants for each drive etc, and that's if he will sell them.

As I said earlier, thoughts, comments and advice setting up RAID and which is the best to use are most welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this message
wallbash.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is it still the case that TRIM and GC dont work on RAID SSD's? That was what put me off going down the same route.

Ask a Question