Question ... wireless AND wired LAN ...

Let's say I have an active wireless connection (G), XP is running and I THEN
plug in a Ethernet cable. What takes precedence?

a) The orig wireless connection because it was there first?

b) The wired connection because it should be faster / less errors (and XP is
smart enough to realize that)

c) Unknown?

Whichever comes first "The chicken or the egg"???

I am no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn last night.

Feng Mao

Hi,

Thank you for posting!

When you type the command "Route Print" in Command window, you will see the
route table on the computer. On the right of the table, there is a column
named "Metric". The Metric is the number of hops to the destination.
Anything on the local LAN is one hop and each router crossed after that is
an additional hop.The Metric is used to determine the best route. That is
to say, Window will use the route which has the smallest Metric

For additional information about TCP/IP routing for Windows, you may read
the below article in Microsoft knowledge base:

140859 TCP/IP Routing Basics for Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=140859

I hope it is helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,