Windows XP PXE-E05 error

Reaction score
I have a PC running Windows XP Professional Version 2002, servic pack 3.

of late, i have started getting an error: PXE-E05: The LAN adapter's configuration is corrupted or has not been initialised. The Boot Agent cannot continue. This comes during booting

Funny part is, if I keep trying to reboot, it sometimes works and I am able to function normally. But at other times, the message keeps on repeating and I have to restart and try again.

I see from the posts that others have had this problem also. But I couldn't find a solution.

Can someone help me and provide a step-by-step solution?

Many thanks...sghose

Reaction score
Hi SgHose and welcome to the forum

Is this a desktop or a laptop you are having the problem wih....Checkthe bios to see the boot order...It sounds like your computer is tryin to boot from a network..
If it is a desktop computer uninstall then re-install the lan card, check to see all the drives are upto date.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

I am using a laptop.

Can you guide me step by step on how I can rectify this error?

thanks again in anticipation...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Star>Control Panel>(ClassicView)System>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters, then right click on the network controler, click Properties in the drop down menu, click the Drivers tab, Uninstall the driver.

Then Device Manager>Network Adapters, then right click on the network controler, click Scan for Hardware Changes in the drop down menu and follow the instructions.

I think this will help.

user.gif

Reaction score
Error

Say, thanks a ton. But before I do this, can you tell me if the Network Adapter driver is already available as a default with the O/s? Because, I sure don;t have a seperate CD for the driver...and I don't want to get stuck for installing it, after I have uninstalled the driver.

thanks again for your patience...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well before you uninstall it write down what it is and either tell us or try and find it on the web.

Or if you have a motherboard cd it will be on there.

Reaction score
error

Just 1 more thing....i followed the instructions, and I find that there are 2 adapters

- one Intel 8255x based PCI ethernet adapter, and
- one SMC ADSL2 Barricade USB Remote NDIS Network device (this is for the router, for the net connection)

should I uninstall both?

Reaction score
PXE is for sure going to be BIOS related. That is what some people use to boot their computer into. Basically instead of booting from the computer itself PXE would start to boot up an image that could be on the other side of the world.

The best thing to do is to go into your BIOS and DISABLE this. When the computer starts up hit the delete key now in that blue screen you should see something like enable PXE or intel boot agent
make sure both or either one is DISABLED

Reaction score
I tried the first option (uninstalling and re-installing the network adapter. The problem disappeared for a couple of days, but like a bad penny, has turned up again today. Could get the laptop to boot after I physically removed the USB connecting it to the internet...

before I try the second option (going into BIOS & disabling the PXE / intel boot agent), would just like to know if there are any hassles if I do this? If I disable the boot agent, where will the PXE (whatever it is :)) boot up from?

Reaction score
Guys, facing the same problem again and again! at my wit's end. Someone please advise!!! Thanks in anticipation...

Ask a Question