PSU woe?

Kye

Reaction score
edit: sorry if this should be in support!

Hello!

i seek help from of which i could not anywhere else on other forums, or googling. hopefully ill have better luck here.

my PSU is a 120mm fan 450W jeantech. after reading some other threads about PSUs, i thought maybe somone here could shed light on my problem.

i can overclock my CPU fine, about as far as i would want it too go. at 2.2ghz it is very stable and all nice. but, in the mornings, turning the PC on, it powers up the fans, lights on keyboard on on front of case light up for about half a second, then suddenly nothing. a second time will start the PC and all is well. rarely a third time is needed.

after a while of this i could not stand the anxiety attacks of turning my PC on in the mornings and thus so, CPU is now 2ghz where it was intended too be in the first place. PC set-up is as follows:

3000+ 64bit athlon 2ghz
zenith value ZNF3-250 motherboard
512mb corsair value
80GB maxtor S-ATA
5600FX 256mb
80mm fan at front of case, a 120mm fan for exhaust.

i get the problem with OCing the graphics card as well, even without OCing the CPU. since i want too avoid not giving enough infomation...i think this might be relevent..:

+3.3 - 3.20v +12 - 11.65v +5 - 4.95v 2.5 - 2.56v
-12 - 11.21v

they are from software so its not too accurate. tis my birthday soon, and ive been offered a antec 480W truepower for my 18th. any help will be appreciated.

also, with what you would know, would a 6800GT survive in with what i have? or should i not risk with what problems i have? thats if they are PSU related.

thank you!
Kye

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello Kye, and welcome to PCR.

Love your choice of MB, Chaintech should be on a winner with this one and its on my wish list to try out.

I'm not an 'overclocker' and usually pass over any post that pertains to OC'ing.

One question, just to clear things in my mind, ... at "normal" clock speeds everything is OK and you can start-up with no problems ... is that correct?

And just to set your mind at rest, I have actually had first hand experience of PCs (that have not been OC'ed) that display what you describe ... in that you had to turn them on twice. I never really got to the bottom of it though.

Hopefully one of the other OC'ing members will be able to enlighten you/me further.

Kye

Reaction score
no other forum has been able too help, but the PSU is the only thing i can think of.

since the PC works even after the second try too turn the Pc on, all i can think of is that the its the voltage surge, and thus why the PSU turns itself off. second time works because there is already some voltage going around from the first time.

thats all i can think of. at stock it works fine. heat is not the problem either. i can live with it with everything at stock for the time being, but its worrying if i want too put anything in there. i want too put in another 80GB maxtor S-ATA, a 6600GT, and 1GB of corsair value. considering that my PSU might be faulty, im not sure i want too risk putting anything else in the PC.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Calculated guess: Kye, I think you're right, it's probably the initial surge that causes shutdown, but then capacitors are charged and there's enough juice in the PSU to fire it up.

Jeantech are generally good PSU's, but it may be wishful thinking on the manufacturer's part to claim 450W constantly at full load and surge.

The PSU is probably right on it's limit. I'd gamble that an Antec Truepower 480W PSU will sort out your problem. But, as I said, just an educated guess.

Reaction score
kye,

when you turn your machine off do you unplug the the power lead or turn it off at the mains or psu?

if you do then try leaving it pluged in.

Kye

Reaction score
i turn the PSU off at the back when i go too sleep. otherwise its on all day. it has too be turned of because of the little 2 year old who likes watching lights going on, off, on off...

before i upgrade my computer, i just want too know that after i put everything in, that my PSU is going too die on me. 512mb RAM too 1GB, and FX5600 too a 6600GT. otherwise ill have too live with what i got intil i save up for the antec 430W truepower.

or have my gran and uncle by me antec neopower quiet 480W :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If i were slapping in more ram and a shiney new 6600GT, i would definatly get a new PSU. You dont want it ruining all that expensive gear!

Kye

Reaction score
i suppose i should get a new PSU. at least then ill have another PSU for back-up. antec are not cheap though. they better be good!

Kye

Reaction score
my graphics card is overclocked and i cant set it too default. ive heard people with this problem before...but, im curious. if i upgrade my FX5600 too a 6800, will that 6800 be OCed since the nvidia drivers wont be uninstalled...and, will it be OCed too the same as it would of been with the FX?

anyway, im getting geil 1GB value, and a 6800nu. what damage can the PSU do if ive overdone it? and the 6800nu needs 300W same as the FX5600. so, its up too the PSU too handle a extra 512mb.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Kye said:
my graphics card is overclocked and i cant set it too default. ive heard people with this problem before...but, im curious. if i upgrade my FX5600 too a 6800, will that 6800 be OCed since the nvidia drivers wont be uninstalled...and, will it be OCed too the same as it would of been with the FX?

anyway, im getting geil 1GB value, and a 6800nu. what damage can the PSU do if ive overdone it? and the 6800nu needs 300W same as the FX5600. so, its up too the PSU too handle a extra 512mb.
If your slapping in a 6800 Ultra (nu = Ultra right :/ ) , just get a new PSU. i wouldnt use anything under 400w if i had a 6800Ultra under the bonet!

Heres a good one 420w for under £30. It has gold plated connectors, fan controller and a nice light show to boot.

Last edited:

Kye

Reaction score
ive never heard of super flower. and apart from only buying from PC components, i have a hard time trusting sites ive never seen before.

nu = non-ultra! considering the 6800 and 6800GT both work ok with a 300W, PSU wise theres no difference between the two.
also, what does PFC do on a PSU? is that the over-ride voltage protection thingy? the PSU im using has that, so...if there is too much in the case that the PSU cant handle, shouldnt it simply not turn on? this would be nice reinsurance.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Super Flower do make good PSU's, I havent heard a bad word about them so far.

As for not seeing Ebuyer ever, thats very strange as its one of the most well known online PC component suppliers in the UK, easily up there with dabs, aria, komplett and overclockers. I've had a processor, hard drive and PSU from there before, though not the fastest delivery (around 5 days :blush:) out there, they all got here in 1 piece ;).

Active PCF, I think that means using power more efficiently, good for the enviroment or summut, but all the good PSU's out there have it, so it must be a good thing.

Kye

Reaction score
micro direct is the only site i know of. i dont mind buying online but its the complication if somthing ever goes wrong. ill buy somthing cheapy from there first, they can earn my trust that way. then, ill spend £300 of my birthday money! maybe a new PSU...

Kye

Reaction score
i need a new PSU. but, i need too know what PSU without going over the top with what i need.

i dont overclock, and secondly give me a wattage but not a brand name. i know what brands are good or not, its a matter of availability. only thing i can think of is that PC World sells hiper 520W PSUs, which are good. anyway, PC specs....

windows XP home edition.
ZNF-250 zenith value mobo
athlon 3000 64-bit
XFX 6800 128MB DDR
1GB DDR PC3200. two slots 256Mb one slot 512MB
80GB maxtor S-ATA 8MB HDD
one 120mm case fan at back, 80mm in front.
DVD/CD rom and a floppy drive.

i have a huge tower case...so ickle short connectors are no use too me. and again, no brand name needed, i wont buy a generic PSU, but a quality brand name one. just give me a watt number too go by.

im going in PC World in a few hours time, not like they sell alot of PSUs, but it will be nice too know before then! thank you.

Ask a Question