PSU Guide

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Kenny said:
Boom,and indeed, Boom. I normally use the eloquent expression "twist one off" but each to their own. With pearls of wisdom like:

"My tortoise is pushing its head out, time to snap one off, before I get skidmarks on the cotton underpass"

It could be interesting having u around, Sir.
... as long as comments remain polite AND discrete on THAT subject ... remember, this is a Family site. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No worries, as long as we all remember. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
I got my EYE-T 550 psu, I edited my rant to somthing more useful:thumb:

Pros
Looks good, works with AMD XP system prime stable, runs quiet & fairly cool due to huge fan and alloy shell, plenty of molex's.

Cons
Voltage fluctuates slightly, rails undervolt a bit (a lot when overclocking), VERY light & cheaply made, no fan speed sensor.

For me, its on the right side of the list, despite the high amps, but for the average user it should work just fine, it only undervolts heavily when the capabilities are tested with high load (O/C etc), no subsitute for an expensive 400watter though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for gettin back to us :) The weight was the biggest plus for me when I got my Nexus, was soooo much heavier than the cheap JNC PSU I got with my old case. I had to smile. :)

Reaction score
Hey snap-one-off, reefsmoka - this was really useful thanks!

I just got a new PSU because the old one was causing sudden reboots, looked around a lot as I couldn't afford an enermax or antec and thought I might share my experience.

I had a 500W low-noise big-fan Q-Tec PSU but it recently started causing reboots every few minutes - it worked fine for a couple of months but I think my radeon 9800pro was stressing it, also I have an athlon barton XP 2500 o/c'd to 11*197. The PSU specs say "500W peak" which seems to mean you can draw that much for a few seconds before it conks out - the thing is really more like a 350W. It wasn't even especially quiet! I'm not normally taken in by crap like that, but it seemed cheap at 25 squid.

So I read snap-one-off's comment and went out to PC World to get a jeantech 450W - obviously usually I would NEVER go to pc world but it was a decent price (£35) for a change and this saved postage. Plus its easy to return;-) The jeantech is heavier, really can do 450W I think, has a decent 18A on the 12V rail, comes in interesting colours and has blue LEDs which get brighter the faster the 12cm temp-controlled fan goes. Up to about 35C (as hot as it gets in my case) it is really, really quiet - you can't hear it more than a couple of inches away. If you manually switch it to high, its still quieter than the q-tec at low.

So I immediately noticed that my coolermaster aero 7 cpu fan makes a buzzing noise which could be damped out by laying a finger on the plastic hood. I figured it was resonating so I stuck a blob of blu-tack on it - it's not pretty but it works, now the loudest thing is my hard disk:D

Anyway I also looked at the Nexus, which would have been 15 squid more but has good reviews on the web. What swung it was that the jeantech has active power factor correction which means it is a lot more more efficient (aparrently) and draws less power from the wall plug:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/pfc.html

There's a slight overvoltage on the 12V rail (+0.4V which is within the 5% spec) but the others are all spot on. Its working fine so far anyway, I'm burning it in, will update if it turns out no good after all!

Hope someone else finds this useful.

Reaction score
It took me a very long while to choose my PSU, in the end i went for the;

Thermaltake Pure power Silent butterfly,

and boy is it silent, apart form when you fiddle with the fan controller then it beats bost noises in the room, all the cables came braided really nicely, Tt take alot of care with packaging too the stuck it in a little box with padding and allsorts, but i got stuff with this too, like a blower fan that makes so much noise, but can lift my hair up vertically away from my head. the lighting in the side isnt as impressive as the picture shows but the 7 coulour changing is fantastic, i definately give thermaltake a thumbs up... for most of thier products in fact