PSU Guide

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well a while back someone posted a topic with a query on what make PSU he should get. So this should help em out, its a guide i got off another forum to say which PSU is good, and which PSU is bad. It obviously hasnt got every make out there, because theres so many generic makes. But if your looking for a PSU, this might help you out.

Good:
Antec
Astec
AOpen
Channel Well
Enermax
Enlight
Fortron Source (Sparkle)
HEC
Hi-Power
Jeantech
NSpire
PC Power & Cooling
PowerMan
Seasonic
SilenX
Tagan
Thermaltake
TTGI/SuperFlower
Vantec
Verax
Zalman

Bad:
Achieve
Allied
Aspire
CoolMax
DEER
EYE-T
KingStar
L&C
Linkworld
PowerMagic
PowerUp
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Skyhawk
Star
Turbolink

Reaction score
reef,
all due respect, but if you plucked this of another forum it's most likely someones opinion rather than fact.

can you back any of this up?

and what does good and bad mean?

will bad blow up and good not? or are good the ones that generally have high wattage?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was wondering the same myself. Were they all lab tested?

Chief requirement I'd imagine is being able to supply full current to all rails, presumably followed by full voltage on all rails, stability and cool running.

I was surprised to see Jeantech in that list, I have one of those in a spare case, I always thought it was just another generic cheapo, I got it from PC World I think, or a local small shop/dealer, can't remember which.

Mind you, I've never had a problem with this 300W unit and it is reassuringly heavy. Interesting.

Reaction score
IMO there is no other really good way to determine this other than to scour the internet for reviews on that specific make and model of product. Companies may be consistent but you never know.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well they were all profesionally tested. But i cant find the link i got them from now!

I try and be helpful, and you throw it back in my face. shame on you all.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
Well they were all profesionally tested. But i cant find the link i got them from now!

I try and be helpful, and you throw it back in my face. shame on you all.
Bloody hell. First I throw a wobbler, all quivering lower lip and all, now it's Reef's turn. It must be the weather.

Look, mr bong-head, all we is saying is it would be nice to know how those conclusions were arrived at, is all.

No one doubts your sincerity, accuracy or good intentions. FWIW, those names & brands in each category look about right to me.

But you have awakened people's interest, they want more.

You lost the link, so be it, it don't really matter, thanks for posting that thing.

Now quit yer sulking and skin up :p ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
im gonna cry me a river if you keep up with the name calling sir :p.

Reaction score
I have a question.

I found this site a bit too late, I see that Eye-T is listed in the BAD PSU catagory.
I have literally just oredered one of these very unheard of PSU's, soley based on the Spec I could see below. Has anyone actually proven this is bad, or is that list simply a 'if it costs less, its rubbish' type of thing?

Any input is appreciated as Im a little concerned, but the specs look great.

EYET.gif

Model: EYE-T​

550Watts
+3.3V @ 30A
+5V @ 32A
+12V @35A

Thanks

EDIT: and just for the record, Jeantechs are pretty good, thats what I am upgrading from because its served me well but its too low powered nowadays, it outperformed some higher wattage PSU's by a mile though.

I dont know the specs of the 450w EYE-T PSU'S but I suspect they where a lot lower than this, Perhaps that where the bad name came from?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I`d like to add Nexus to the "Good" list. It`s my opinion. It`s reliable, very VERY quiet and..... reliable. and Heavy. Mmm. That too.

Seeing as I did start a thread on what PSU to get, I`m-a have my tuppence here on what I bought. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
snap-one-off ... welcome

I wouldn't worry too much ... but it really boils down to what the PSU is going to power. Stick the latest of everything in your system and I bet no matter what PSU you have you'll suffer.

Some of these new graphics cards are especially prone to inadequate PSs ... add two CD dives and two HDs and you start to "push it" somewhat.

The main thing to look for in ANY PSU is "what does" the combined 3.3 & 5volt rails add up to? Anything over 200wats is pretty reasonable, the more the better. An added bonus is in its weight, heavy is usually better.

Now, after all that, a rule-of -thumb a lot of us here apply ... get the best you can afford of a well known brand, and leave the rest to ... ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well you never know, the people that performed the tests with the PSU's might have just got a "bad one", this is highly unlikely. Where i got it from, they did say they tested the rail volts and all kindas of gobbeldy goop (none of it made sense to me).

At the moment, im using the crappiest PSU in the world, it weighs about as much as a piece of A4 paper, but i am thinking of getting an "Enermax", its around £66 for 460w, which is pretty good considering some of the rip offs out there.

Enermax PSU (the 2nd one down obviously :p)

Reaction score
I just got a reply from a shop about these EYE-T 550 PSU's.
I asked about overclocking the hell out of my mobile XP system.

The EYE-T PSU is the business, it works every time.We had some problems with Gigabyte some time ago with other PSU's for example Thermaltake etc.. Gigabyte told us that they only recommended the Enermax PSU, however we got the EYE-T in stock and found it to be just as good or better in some cases. We sent Gigabyte the EYE-T unit and they now recommended the unit for use on all of there boards. We recommended the unit for all high end systems (P4 and Athlon 64) , over clocking and network servers.
To my knowledge we have no problems with voltage fluctuations – its never being an issue anyway! – We’ve sold over 300 of these!

I hope its what it appears to be, and the rails are up to scratch, because if its good, £45 delivered is a much better price for a rating higher than antec truepowers and enermax of higher values.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Thats very re-asuring. WIth that many sold, you know its gonna be decent (if there not telling porkys). I think they must rate it high though, else they wouldnt reply.

Reaction score
Well when I get it, I will perhaps write a mini review if its good, with photos, rails etc. or if its bad I will just say so. I hate it when theres no info at all on a promising looking product.

And for the record again, I had a q-tec theat killed a system, since then I have been on the PSU defensive, I hope i havent made another Q-tec mistake

thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally, I`m impressed that a company got back to you with a personal recommendation and sales figures. Thats above and beyond the call of duty, and a lot of companies wouldnt bother. That hints at good customer services, so whatever u do about the PSU, it might be an idea to stick with them in future....

Snap-one-off.... what a great name! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
'snap-one-off'

yep, great name :)

mate of mine had a similar expression a whiles back 'bowl one off'

probably a completely different meaning to the one you're conveying there :D

yes, in fact, I'm sure it was :eek:

and to stay on topic: that PSU - go for it, I would. Let us know how it performs, OK?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No ... your on the right track there Flopps, but research in Austrailia may prove that "doing so" may protect against prostate cancer ... :D

Do we have to go back to PSUs ... this is a more entertaining subject. :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
'snap-one-off'

yep, great name :)

mate of mine had a similar expression a whiles back 'bowl one off'

probably a completely different meaning to the one you're conveying there :D

yes, in fact, I'm sure it was :eek:

and to stay on topic: that PSU - go for it, I would. Let us know how it performs, OK?
lol, I will let you know fo sure.

Kenny said:
Personally, I`m impressed that a company got back to you with a personal recommendation and sales figures. Thats above and beyond the call of duty, and a lot of companies wouldnt bother. That hints at good customer services, so whatever u do about the PSU, it might be an idea to stick with them in future....

Snap-one-off.... what a great name! :)
Yes I am quite impressed and if the product stands up to scrutiny, i will post the site whenever anyone wants a budget PSU that kicks ass.

My tortoise is pushing its head out, time to snap one off, before I get skidmarks on the cotton underpass.:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boom,and indeed, Boom. I normally use the eloquent expression "twist one off" but each to their own. With pearls of wisdom like:

"My tortoise is pushing its head out, time to snap one off, before I get skidmarks on the cotton underpass"

It could be interesting having u around, Sir.