PSTPRX.DLL error...what does this mean???

when i try to open microsoft outlook i get a message that reads, "Unable to open default email folders. The .DLL file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL" Does anyone know what this means...Can someone please help me?? Thank you.
Waheed

Nikki

What version of Outlook do you use?

"OL2002: Error Message: MAPI Was Unable to Load the Information Service
Pstprx.dll"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q293058&

CAUSE:
This problem can occur because Outlook 2002 upgraded the
profile once and set a registry key that specifies not to upgrade
the profile again. When you revert to Outlook 2000 IMO,
choose to use the current profile, and upgrade to Outlook 2002
again, that profile is skipped during the upgrade process.

I have seen this when a pre-exising profile was on the
machine when you performed the upgrade. I believe that
the XP registry wants you to use the PST that is created in a
"hidden" location. However your existing profile was using
a PST that is located somewhere else. (confusing?)

WORKAROUND:
To work around this behavior, manually create a profile
for Outlook 2002. To do this:
Close Outlook 2002.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Mail.
Click Show Profiles, click Add, name the profile, and then
click OK.
Click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
Click a type of account, and then click Next.
In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, enter the necessary
information, and then click Next.
Click Finish.
If the Always use this profile option is selected, select the
profile that you just created, and then click OK.

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

when i try to open microsoft outlook i get a message that reads, "Unable to
open default email folders. The .DLL file for the information service could
not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL"
Does anyone know what this means...Can someone please help me?? Thank you.
Waheed

I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2002, specifically the error message:

"Unalbe to open your default email folders. The DLL file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured.

I know my email service/connection is correct and functional. In fact, when I run the test that is available when setting-up a new email account, the test comes back saying everything is fine

I tried the "workaround" submitted by Nikki to no avail

Where should I go from here

Irish Mist

William Tatum[MSFT]

There is another workaround, but you have to be very confident in your registry editing skills. If so,
follow these instructions:

(Be careful as any wrong editing could hurt your machine. I am going to add the same registry caution
as microsoft.)

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve
problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own
risk.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows Messaging
Subsystem/ProfilesNOTE: If you are running Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000,
or Microsoft Windows XP, locate and click the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Windows
Messaging Subsystem/Profiles

3. Click the appropriate profile key.

4. Export the key and a backup.

5. Delete the key.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

7. Connect to the profile that you created in the previously mentioned
workaround (you may need to reconnect to the appropriate personal
folders (.pst) file).

--------------------
From: "=?Utf-8?B?SXJpc2ggTWlzdA==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: PSTPRX.DLL error...what does this mean???
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:41:06 -0800
I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2002, specifically the error message:

"Unalbe to open your default email folders. The DLL file for the information service could not be found.
MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly
installed and configured."

I know my email service/connection is correct and functional. In fact, when I run the test that is
available when setting-up a new email account, the test comes back saying everything is fine.

I tried the "workaround" submitted by Nikki to no avail.

Where should I go from here?

Irish Mist
William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications