Protecting Images Online

Reaction score
I would like to create an online web gallery.

Is there a way of protecting my images so they cannot be copied etc. please?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
cguil_uk said:
I would like to create an online web gallery.

Is there a way of protecting my images so they cannot be copied etc. please?
Simply do not post them. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
I would like to show my photos off too the world without them getting nicked.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i know of one method i've come accross in my travels, i dont know the coding or the exact method but it was something along the lines of a transparent image placed over the one you want to protect using some sort of javascript

you could however overcome it with a simple screen dump or by finding the location of the images on the server

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Any code written to protect images from being copied or stolen, will be broken. Fact. :nod:

Put a "watermark" on the image, so as not to mess the image up too much, and, cannot be removed easily by Photoshop or the likes.

Then add the usual copyright notice with the the rider ... "Please contact the webmaster for permission to use anything on a different site." ... I know that really won't stop the thieves at all, but it may get some of the good guys to email and ask first.

If you really do not want any pics or images "stolen" do not post them in the first place.

:thumb:

Reaction score
well they can copy and paste that picture with great ease.

But what you could do is tag each one
write your name on it even better a web url!
maybe put it across the picture so it can't be edited to look as good as you have made it look :)

That is what I do
otherwise people steal it without your credit

Reaction score
psd99 said:
well they can copy and paste that picture with great ease.

But what you could do is tag each one
write your name on it even better a web url!
maybe put it across the picture so it can't be edited to look as good as you have made it look :)

That is what I do
otherwise people steal it without your credit
How do I actually do this please?

Reaction score
You could copy on every photo but that won't work out? There are dating service sites that automaticly put their mascot on every uploaded photo, maybe you could do the same by creating your own site?l

Reaction score
Carpet said:
You could copy on every photo but that won't work out? There are dating service sites that automaticly put their mascot on every uploaded photo, maybe you could do the same by creating your own site?l
Thanks I may try that.

I have my own family history site and I have many personal photos that are available to family members, but I would prefer they were not copied by all and sundry.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Your never going to be able to protect your photo's completely if your posting them to the web but I'm sure Photoshop has a batch file or something for carrying out this task, where you can signature each photo with a banner or some writing...

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Your never going to be able to protect your photo's completely if your posting them to the web but I'm sure Photoshop has a batch file or something for carrying out this task, where you can signature each photo with a banner or some writing...

this is how you do it mate
use photoshop to edit it

Reaction score
I have the same idea, I have made up my website, but prior to loading the photos I have done the following...
Download IRFANVIEW (its free) and you can then edit and change the contrast etc with it.
Load all your photos into a folder call it C:|WEB PHOTOS or whatever.
Presumably all your photos are the same resolution you downloaded from camera (hi res)
Locate your first picture in Irfanview OPEN....now find the "resize/resample" tool...... resize the photo to the smallest size acceptable for viewing on your site.... (mine is 325x325..... gives me two pics side by side) .... after re-sizing. SAVE AS and using the original filename add LR to it (low resolution) next..... drag a oblong box by left click and hold, across the most interesting part of your photograph, then go to EDIT on toolbar and find "Insert text into selection" type in the box your photograph title and reference. Adjust the text size to suit ..... and insert the "copyright" symbol

Now RE - SAVE the photograph with the original file name LR and add (C)

this is the copy you put on your website.....

Put a "legal stuff" page on your website saying all your photos are covered by U.K. and EU. copyright laws, and that the photos have been downgraded, adding that if anyone wants a copy without the writing to contact you....

Of course, you could dispense with all that, and just put the copyright bits on, and as already commented. hope for the best....

skodadriver

Reaction score
just simply put a opaque word/link or phrase over the picture its the most effective , the more you cover yer pic with the harder it will be to remove and add a digi watermark

sumint like this

attachment.php

TIP, the more complex the image under the opaque tex the harder it is to remove, most peopple wont bother unless they really want that photo, obviously the one above i just posted is in black n white and i just a few bits of text everyhwere, thts just give u a idea,, hope tht helps, its easy done in corel and adobe

Attachments

• imj.jpg
    imj.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 217

Ask a Question