Propagation of "%APPDATA%\Microsoft..." Folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by John Webster, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. John Webster

    John Webster Guest

    I recently updated and installed a couple of Versign personal certificates.
    The download method was via IE, and the certs were to be for signing Outlook
    (2003 Pro) email.

    The certs do not seem to have installed properly (for I can't use them in
    Outlook) and since installing, folders are being added to Windows XP. I'm
    not sure which applications are causing the propagation, but I suspect
    Windows Explorer. Could be others, too.

    The folders are being created under C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Documents and
    Settings\<Username>\ consistently.

    The complete folder list being created is:

    C:\Documents and
    Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CTLs , \CRLs &
    \Certificates

    AND

    C:\Documents and
    Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\MetaData

    AND

    C:\Documents and
    Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content

    Obviously, something is using the literal "%APPDATA%" instead of
    interpreting it as a token for that folder.

    Anyone have any ideas how I might solve this problem ?

    Thanks.

    --
    - John

    John Webster, Jul 9, 2009

  2. John

    My suggestion will be try creating a new user account & the try to import
    the certificates in the new user account. For me it seems to be local user
    account corruption.

    Anurag Shukla, Jul 10, 2009

  3. John Webster

    Old Rookie Guest

    Check the following link on how to use certificates with Outlook 2003 in
    which case you may need to select your new certificate for signing if you
    have not done so yet. If using XP Pro try using the MMC (enter MMC in run
    box - file/add or remove snapin) snapin for certificates for user to see if
    the new certificate shows under your user account and it shows that the
    privtae key is also installed.

    Steve

    http://www.globalsign.com/support/personal-certificate/per_outlook03.html

    Old Rookie, Jul 11, 2009