Program to search for particular files.

eXistenZ

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4

I have thousands of pictures stored in many folders.
I need to be able to get to them quickly without the
tedious process of opening each folder to find what I want.

Is there a program which will "search" ( type in name eg "cat" click
search then either take me to it or show folder location ).... ?
I guess I'm after something similar to the standard Google search.

Does something like this exist, preferably free but if I can get something
to quickly locate my stuff - I'd gladly pay for it.

Any help or advice appreciated.
eXistenZ

Jast

This program is pretty good and you can also customise it easily to just
index your photos and nothing else (which is why I prefer it to google
desktop search)

http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/

It also indexes some exif and iptc info I think (maybe not both)

Otherwise you could try

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

but it doesn't index files, so it is slower. The windows file search
utility will also work ok for photos but not for some files that contain
text with different extensions.

I think you can also use

http://www.xnview.com/

which builds a database for faster searching. I haven't used it though.

Simone Murdock

I have thousands of pictures stored in many folders.

Or use an image manager like Picasa (www.picasa.com) or a file search
program like locate32 (to search only by filename) or others like Google
desktop search & c. (to search by text or musical contenent: see the
thread "Your Fav. Desktop Search Application?").

Simone
"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try."
by Yoda, Jedi Master (from anonymous poster)
( remove/togli 'FalselinK' to reply/per rispondere )

Donald Lessau

eXistenZ said:
I have thousands of pictures stored in many folders.
I need to be able to get to them quickly without the
tedious process of opening each folder to find what I want.

Is there a program which will "search" ( type in name eg "cat" click
search then either take me to it or show folder location ).... ?
I guess I'm after something similar to the standard Google search.

No, I think you are after file search functionality in general. It's built
into every file manager, even Explorer. However, I'd suggest XYplorer
(http://www.xyplorer.com/) because it has a far more powerful search
interface. For example, you can search for "cat OR dog" or "(cat OR (animal
AND whiskers)) AND NOT *.gif" etc. You can as well one-click-preview the
search results, or have them shown directly as thumbnails. To "take you to
it" select the file in search results and simply press Ctrl+Left: XYplorer
will jump to the file in its folder location.

Don

Art

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4

I have thousands of pictures stored in many folders.
I need to be able to get to them quickly without the
tedious process of opening each folder to find what I want.

Is there a program which will "search" ( type in name eg "cat" click
search then either take me to it or show folder location ).... ?
I guess I'm after something similar to the standard Google search.

Does something like this exist, preferably free but if I can get something
to quickly locate my stuff - I'd gladly pay for it.

My all time favorite is Charles Dye's Locate.com because of its
extraordinary flexibilty.

http://www.highfiber.com/~raster/freeware.htm

It's a small command line util, so you don't get any frills. As such,
a myriad of batch files can be created using it for various kinds of
search purposes. For just one search example:

locate cat*.jpg will find all files having jpg extension where the
first three letters of the name are "cat". The wildcard * can be
employed in many different ways.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

antoine

Art said:
My all time favorite is Charles Dye's Locate.com because of its
extraordinary flexibilty.

http://www.highfiber.com/~raster/freeware.htm

It's a small command line util, so you don't get any frills. As such,
a myriad of batch files can be created using it for various kinds of
search purposes. For just one search example:

locate cat*.jpg will find all files having jpg extension where the
first three letters of the name are "cat". The wildcard * can be
employed in many different ways.

Have you ever tried the "*NIX" find utility from the GNU utilities for
windows ?

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Antoine

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I have thousands of pictures stored in many folders.
I need to be able to get to them quickly without the
tedious process of opening each folder to find what I want.

Is there a program which will "search" ( type in name eg "cat" click
search then either take me to it or show folder location ).... ?
I guess I'm after something similar to the standard Google search.

http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/

Scroll down to Cathy. It's designed as a media tool for .mp3 files,
but it has an unbelievably fast search on any portion of a filename.
To use your example of "cat" it would pick up obvious matches like
"CATalog" and "bobCAT" but it would also pick up "vaCATion" so your
results are as good as your search term.

For pictures, e.g., .jpg .gif .bmp etc., you can right click on any
result and open it in the default viewer for that filetype.
Alternately, the full path to the file is displayed.

Downside is that you have to index your files. It doesn't do that
automatically, but if you put new files in new folder locations and
index just the new folders it works great. Alternatively, you can
delete and reindex a folder set.

You also have the option to drill up/down, explorer-like in another
tab.

Works on fixed disk and removable media, so if you move some files off
to CD-R you can find which CD they're on without having to have CD
loaded.

Franklin

My all time favorite is Charles Dye's Locate.com because of its
extraordinary flexibilty.

http://www.highfiber.com/~raster/freeware.htm

It's a small command line util, so you don't get any frills. As
such, a myriad of batch files can be created using it for
various kinds of search purposes. For just one search example:

locate cat*.jpg will find all files having jpg extension where
the first three letters of the name are "cat". The wildcard *
can be employed in many different ways.

Is this ok on XP?