Windows XP problems with WMP 9

Reaction score
I've been having trouble with my windows media player 9 for XP. Every time I try to open a video file such as an .avi or any mpeg format i get the error message: 0xC00D1199: Cannot play the file. It says Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play.
I am able to play windows media video files such as .wmv and all audio files. All of these unplayable files will play in real one player but not in winamp.
I have reinstalled WMP many times and it has had no effect. I have also installed many codec packs and they haven't worked either.
If anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it please email me or reply. Thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Change your file associations so that the .asx/avi/mpeg file opens windows media rather than winamp:

1) open Windows Explorer
2) click on Tools then Folder Options
3) click on File Types
4) assign .asx/avi/mpeg to Windows Media player rather than Winamp

Should hopefully solve this problem

Reaction score
I did what you suggesested an now when i try to open up those types of files I get another error which says "The specified module could not be found." The web help also says "Sorry, no more help is available for this problem at this time." If you have any more information I would I appreciate it. Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm I think you've got me ...

You may have to 'phone Microsoft' as in This Article or download wmp8, its on that page and try again.

Reaction score
I rarely use WMP at all. I found the best thing to be the k-lite mega codec pack. Do a quick Google search and you'll find it.

The only problem I have is when Quicktime tries to overstep it. Unfortunately I can't get rid of Quicktime due to my love of iTunes.

Ask a Question