Problems with View Source

Steve Janoff

Intermittent problem with View Source in IE6 for about 1-
1/2 to 2 years now.

For some reason, stops working. This is right-click in
web page and select "View Source," or select "Source"
from "View" menu. Displays underlying source code (HTML
or other file) of web page.

Background: Web page currently being viewed is stored
in "Temporary Internet Files" folder in user
profile. "View Source" copies the underlying source file
for this page to "Temp" folder and then opens it in
Notepad, nicely formatted (often adding linebreaks for
UNIX-based files).

I've been through the Tech Notes -- environment variable
settings are fine. Other settings are fine. This
happened at my last employer and no one in IT (Fortune
500 company) could figure it out. Also happened on home
PC and current work PC. Started with IE6 (didn't happen
on IE5.5), on Win2k, then persisted as an intermittent
(then extended) problem with update to WinXP.

Note: Everybody always wants to suggest Tools > Internet
Options > Programs > HTML Editor etc. (working with that
setting), but that is NOT the same as what View Source
does -- 2 entirely different functions. The HTML Editor
setting controls File > Edit (with...) menu command (and
associated toolbar button).

This has turned out to be like Fermat's Last Theorem:
looks easy to solve, but it ain't. I'm told there may be
some registry issues where installed software might take
over. I've also tried messing with Folder Options > File
Types settings for .html/.htm etc. files (Open, Edit,
etc.), but nothing so far has worked.

Some believe it's software conflicts: I do heavy web
development, using Adobe & Macromedia products, and used
to think the problem was caused by having old browser
software installed (for testing), but it's happening on
machines where the only installed browser is IE6.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I check Tech Notes from
time to time but have not found a single MS bulletin that
addresses this specific problem (although the others on
various aspects of View Source have provided some
background so I could write about this intelligently).

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Steve

DVarnau

Tom

I'll be interested in knowing if this helps. I've never
seen "view source" not work except when a developer
blocked it on purpose on the page. What exactly is, or
is not happening to you? Is the "View Source" greyed
out, missing, or just that when you click it, nothing
happens?

BTW - the "nice formatting" in notepad... to each their
own. LOL At least it's legible.

And Don, just curious, does "View Source" use the
default "send to" links for the user, or is this a hard-
coded entry?

Thanks!

Tom