problems seeing the pics without clicking on them

yer i used to be able top see the photos in thumbnails without clicking on
them but now i cant they just dont show up have i turned something off or
something how do i get it back

Yes, I have had the same problem for some time now. Instead of thumbnail
pictures I get thumbnail icons which look like a mini sunset scene with a
sailing boat on water. I think it happened when i installed Adobe Photoshop
Elements 3 as a picture editor. Sorry JoeDenyer, this doesn't solve your
problem, but I'm hoping I can benefit from the advice that we both hope to
get!

Yves Alarie

There is a Views icon on your top bar after you open a folder containing
photos. Click on it and select Thumbnails.

Thanks, Yves, but it doesn't work for me. I have tried clicking on the
Views icon and all I get is fewer of the same icons, but in a larger size,
on the screen.

John Inzer

Barry said:
Thanks, Yves, but it doesn't work for me. I have tried
clicking on the Views icon and all I get is fewer of the
same icons, but in a larger size, on the screen.

==================
Try this, maybe it will restore the option:

go to...Start / Run and type:

"REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
(without the quotes)(Yes, there's
a space between 2 and S)

Click...OK.

A dialog box should report the following:

"DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

==================

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Yves Alarie

You may have a different problem.
Open a photo folder.
Right click on a photo.
Click on Open with on the opening menu.
Click on Choose program at the bottom of the opening list.
A list will open, click on Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and click on the
box "Always.....".

Yves, I think you have identified the problem, but I don't have Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer on either the Recomended or the Other Programs list.
The default program is Microsoft Photo Editor. Any thoughts on how I could
acquire Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

Thanks, John, but I think Yves has put his finger on it. My default picture
editor is Microsoft Photo Editor and I don't seem to have Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer as an option. I have asked Yves for suggestions as to how to
acquire it. Your suggestion seems to involve the Registry, which is
something I'm nervous of delving into. If Windows and Fax Viewer does not
solve it, however, I'll probably try your suggestion. Thanks.

Yves Alarie

In this case, you have to re-install it.
Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the textbox (or copy
the following and paste it in the textbox) and press the Enter key;

regsvr32 /i shimgvdw.dll

If you type it, note that there is a space between ...32 and /i and there
is a space between /i and shi...

This will take a second to run and should add the Windows Picture and Fax
viewer on the list. You may have to reboot after the installation but I
don't think so.

Thanks, Yves. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but can you see John Inzer's
post to this thread? His suggestion is almost identical to yours, but you
have the extra /i and a d between the v and w that he doesn't have. As it
seems to be the registry that we are delving into, I'm nervous about entering
an inaccurate command which might do something bad to the registry. I assume
the entry can be made in lower or upper case. Any thoughts on these points?

John Inzer

Barry said:
Thanks, Yves. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but can
you see John Inzer's post to this thread? His suggestion
is almost identical to yours, but you have the extra /i
and a d between the v and w that he doesn't have. As it
seems to be the registry that we are delving into, I'm
nervous about entering an inaccurate command which might
do something bad to the registry. I assume the entry can
be made in lower or upper case. Any thoughts on these
points?
============================
If you enter the command incorrectly, it just
won't work. The D in Yves' example is a typo...
leave it out.

(To re-register Windows Picture and Fax Viewer)
Enter...... regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
(yes, the space after the 2 is required)

(You should see a dialog box that says:
DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded)

If that fails...try the following command to
force a reinstall.

Enter...... regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
(yes, the space after the 2 and the space
after the i is required)

(You should see a dialog box that says:
DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shimgvw.dll succeeded

It's also possible that you have a problem with
your file associations:

Have a look at this article:

(307859) HOW TO: Change File Associations
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

More info:

Try this...open an image folder and right click one
of your image files...from the menu, select...Open
With / Choose Program.

Make your choice from the list or Browse to the
correct program if it is not in the list.

If you want the default...choose..."Windows
Picture and Fax viewer"

Once you make your selection...be sure to check
the box that says: "Always use the selected program
to open this kind of file". (you will need to do this
for each format....jpg, .tif, .gif...etc.)

Also...you can right click an image and choose
Properties / Change Button...choose the program
you wish to use and click...OK / Apply / OK.

Also...in WinXP, you can go to...My Computer /
Tools / Folder Options / File Types tab...

And the following links may be useful:

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Change the default image editor application,
invoked from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

Windows® XP File Association Fixes

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Yves Alarie

Sorry about the "d".
As John said, if you run it there will be no problem created, but no repair
either!
So, remove the "d". My fault.
The extra /i is different. If you run the command without the extra /i you
simply register back the association of image files with Windows Picture and
Fax viewer. However, in your case, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not
there. So the extra /i is not get it back.

Yves Alarie

I think I need more caffeine. The extra /i is needed if you want to
re-install Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. In your case, the extra /i is
needed because Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not listed on the available
list of software. So you have to get it back (re-install). The extra i/ is
to do so. So the command to type in should be:
REGSVR32 /i SHIMGVW.DLL

BINGO!!! Thanks very much Yves, and John if you are reading this. I tried
the version using /i and it worked immediately. It was a joy watching all
the icons chsange to pictures! Problem solved - thanks for your time and
trouble. I hope the originator of this thread, JoeDenyer, has also benefited.

This is the first time I have used the Windows XP Newsgroups (the only
previous experience of newsgroups being with Sibelius, which is also
excellent) and I really appreciate the time and trouble you have both taken
to help me.

John, I don't know whether you get notified when I reply to another
subscriber (Yves in this case), but please see my thanks to you included in
my reply to him. I really appreciate all the trouble you took.

John Inzer

Barry said:
BINGO!!! Thanks very much Yves, and John if you are
reading this. I tried the version using /i and it worked
immediately. It was a joy watching all the icons chsange
to pictures! Problem solved - thanks for your time and
trouble. I hope the originator of this thread,
JoeDenyer, has also benefited.

This is the first time I have used the Windows XP
Newsgroups (the only previous experience of newsgroups
being with Sibelius, which is also excellent) and I
really appreciate the time and trouble you have both
taken to help me.
====================================
You're welcome.

Thanks for the update.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Not only did you help Barry and Joe, but I had the exact same problem and
read your disscussion and Bingo, the registry command that John first
mentioned fixed everything. Thanks for the great support for us amatures!

John Inzer

Chad said:
Not only did you help Barry and Joe, but I had the exact
same problem and read your disscussion and Bingo, the
registry command that John first mentioned fixed
everything. Thanks for the great support for us amatures!
You're welcome...

Thanks for the update.