Windows Vista Problem with Windows Mail

Reaction score
Attachments won't show when people send them with their emails. The little paperclip sign which should show in the top rt. hand corner of the message is absent and I don't know where/how to retrieve it from wherever it's gone. I'd be most grateful if someone could advise - thanks.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hello WhistlingWind, welcome to PC Review. :)

My apologies if you have already eliminated this, but I'm wondering if your settings could be blocking the attachments?

You can check by looking at: Tools > Options > Security. If "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail" has been ticked, click to un-check it.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, Taffycat. I did as you suggested but found that the box was already unticked, so had to think again. I did, however, eventually discover an answer and wonder if others have had this experience also.
The paperclips were showing in the preview section on my email page but not at the top of the individual messages when opened. Apparently I have now to double-click the paperclip in the preview, which then opens the message in a separate window. I then have to double-click the attachment box at the head of the message and.....behold....., the attachment fills the screen! It seems very longwinded and I assume that the many updates which, daily, emanate from Microsoft are responsible. I still can't help wondering whether this is just me or whether other people's emails are behaving the same way; it only started at the end of last week.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
WhislingWind, have you installed IE9 recently..? Others have experienced the disappearing paperclip too, which apparently returns if IE9 is uninstalled. Microsoft answers

I don't normally use the preview pane, but I switched views just now, (to experiment) and couldn't see the paperclip either (I downloaded IE9 a week ago.) :)

Reaction score
I have indeed! I must be too trusting with updates. I always think that I ought to have them because Microsoft tells me to! More fool me. I'm a bit nervous of uninstalling IE9 in case it causes more trouble than it cures. Would I still find IE8 lurking underneath or will it have been removed by IE9, I wonder

Reaction score
I have a problem with links in an email. When I click on one, it opens my print box instead of going to the link. I haven't found any information about how to fix this problem. I'd like to try to fix it instead of buying a new computer so any assistance is appreciated. Thanks, Paula

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
WhistlingWind last posted six months ago.

I think it's fairly safe to assume WhistlingWind has left the building :)

Reaction score
It's my mom's computer and she's using Windows Mail with Windows Vista. We set up a yahoo account for her and not having any problem with links using yahoo.

Ask a Question