Problem With Shortcuts to Originals

A

Al Stu

This is a little complicated to explain so please bear with me.

I organize my photos by directories. e.g.: Crater Lake 20050603\Originals

Under the root 'Crater Lake...' directory copy all the photos of ....\Originals as shortcuts.

Then, photos I wish to edit, I delete the shortcut and replace it with a copy of the original and crop it etc.

So now I have in the root of Crater Lake... the photos as I wish to view them (shortcuts to Originals and edited jpg's). The problem is that if the first picture I click on is a shortcut, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays the pictures from ...\Originals directory thus missing the ones I edited that are in the root. If however the first picture I click on is not a shortcut but rather a *.jpg then, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays the pictures as they are listed in the root.

Hope the makes sense.

G

Gregg Rivers [MSFT]

Hello Al,

I totally understand what you're talking about. This is expected behavior for the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, it will allow you to view all images in the directory where the first image is launched. If that first is a shortcut to another directory, then only the images in that directory will be available.

I would suggest picking up a copy of Microsoft Digital Image and using the Library to organize and view your images.

Thanks,
Gregg Rivers [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
newsgroups.

This is a little complicated to explain so please bear with me.

I organize my photos by directories. e.g.: Crater Lake 20050603\Originals

Under the root 'Crater Lake...' directory copy all the photos of ....\Originals as shortcuts.

Then, photos I wish to edit, I delete the shortcut and replace it with a copy of the original and crop it etc.

So now I have in the root of Crater Lake... the photos as I wish to view them (shortcuts to Originals and edited jpg's). The problem is that if the first picture I click on is a shortcut, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays the pictures from ...\Originals directory thus missing the ones I edited that are in the root. If however the first picture I click on is not a shortcut but rather a *.jpg then, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays the pictures as they are listed in the root.

Hope the makes sense.

Ask a Question