Problem with explorer

The Real Truth [MS MVP]

Don't be so gullible, open your host file using the method Randall gave you
then reply back to Leythos the stalker and tell him what a stupid liar he
his and why would he deliberately lie to you like that. You will just love
his answer. When you are done visit this page to learn more about trolls
http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/ngtrolls.htm

your time.

Jeffrey Needle said:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:02:25 -0400, The Real Truth [MS MVP]

Try my Explorer Shell Fix tool. Download it here http://www.ms-
mvp.PIRATE/

Thanks. Tried it, didn't work.

His pirated tools have an added feature of blocking access to quality
and reputable anti-malware sites. Check your HOST file for his crap.

Oh dear, not good. I use Opera. I have no idea where my HOST file is.
Can you advise so I can make sure things are okay? Thanks.

Jeffrey Needle

It doesn't matter what browser you use, the HOSTS file is always in
the same place:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

Open it with Notepad.

Not much there, just a few comments and a single entry:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Do you reckon I'm safe? Thanks.

Jeffrey Needle

Well, I've posted the contents of my HOST file. Looks pretty simple. I'm hoping the single line (other than comments) in the file) won't cause problems.

Jeffrey Needle

I'm really confused. There are thousands of Google references to the dll, and the Microsoft site tells us that it is installed whenever an app uses C++.

The Real Truth [MS MVP]

Your host file is the standard default windows host file it has not been
modified and is not what is causing your issue. Leythos lied to you on
purpose to confuse you. As for your issue try re-registering that dll file.

Click start>run type in the run box regsvr32 mfc42.dll then press
enter.

your time.

db

ok then.

I haven't read the other
suggestions but
since safe mode is
also crashing the
explorer then

you might try to
do a "repair install"
with a win cd before
considering issues
pertaining to hardware.

if you only have an sp2
win cd but the pc is
updated to sp3,

then uninstall sp3 via
add/remove programs.

perhaps, you might want
to see if uninstalling sp3
resolved the issue.

if not, then proceed with
the "repair install".

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeffrey Needle

Thanks. I'll try these options. I'll have to get a CD from a friend -- my Dell Desktop didn't come with an XP CD.

Gerry

Jeffrey

That revelation makes quite a difference <G>.

Could you please post a complete copy of the Error Report in Event Viewer.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Right click on the Report in the
list and select Properties. In the window, which appears are three buttons
towards the top right of the window. The top one has an arrow up, underneath
is an arrow down and third is a button resembling two pages. Click the
button and close Event Viewer. It is not obvious but this action places a
copy of the report in your Clipboard. Now start your message (email) and do
a paste into the body of the message. Make sure this is the first paste
after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leythos

Don't be so gullible, open your host file using the method Randall gave you
then reply back to Leythos

And yet you've confirmed many times that your pirated and modified tools
will add entries to the users host file, blocking access to reputable
and quality anti-malware sites. YOU admitted this several times when you
were exposed.

Leythos

Your host file is the standard default windows host file it has not been
modified and is not what is causing your issue. Leythos lied to you on
purpose to confuse you. As for your issue try re-registering that dll file.

I didn't like, I told you want PCBUTTS himself has said and done - some
of his pirated files will modify the HOST file on your computer and it
will block access to some sites - Chris, you've said this yourself, many
times.

Leythos

# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Do you reckon I'm safe? Thanks.

Yep, looks like you didn't download and run the one that does it. He has
stated, many times, that he blocks access to several quality anti-
malware sites.

Randall Flagg

[...]

Your hosts file is not the source of your problem.

Randall Flagg

Well, I've posted the contents of my HOST file. Looks pretty simple. I'm hoping the single line (other than comments) in the file) won't cause problems.
[snip]

Ignore "The Real Truth". The person using that moniker is
untrustworthy at best, a crook at worst... and is NOT an "MVP".

Leythos

You are NOT a MVP you are a thief I know this is true because GOD told me. I
asked him a few years ago while getting high and he said yes.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(e-mail address removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)

The Real Truth said:
WOW yet another troll emerges who knows not what he is talking about. You
probably believed Leythos which is why you told him how to get to his
hosts file. Now you are SHOCKED that it was not modified so instead of
accepting the truth you start posting stupid lies like all the other
trolls.

They do NOT have the expertise or knowledge to fix your issue. Do not
waste your time.

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: Problem with explorer
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:13:37 -0700

You are NOT a MVP you are a thief I know this is true because GOD told me. I
asked him a few years ago while getting high and he said yes.

Wow, Here is a great example of PCBUTTS1 being completely unethical
again, impersonating ME. The proof is in the headers, again.

Why would ANYONE trust an unethical hack that resorts to impersonating
others and lies about his own sex and pirates pictures of people to fake
a female persona?

Elmo

Jeffrey said:
[...]

Please consider this post by Brian Cryer:

This is the normal location, but it can be changed. If your hosts file
looks okay then look in the registry at:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

this gives the location of the hosts file, so if it's pointing to
anything other than %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc then either find
and view the file in its new location or change the value in the
registry back to what it should be.

Jeffrey Needle

Yep, looks like you didn't download and run the one that does it. He has
stated, many times, that he blocks access to several quality anti-
malware sites.

This is good news. Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey Needle

Well, I've posted the contents of my HOST file. Looks pretty simple.
I'm hoping the single line (other than comments) in the file) won't
cause problems.

[snip]

Ignore "The Real Truth". The person using that moniker is
untrustworthy at best, a crook at worst... and is NOT an "MVP".

Is that different from the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? <grin>

Thanks.

Jeffrey Needle

Please consider this post by Brian Cryer:

This is the normal location, but it can be changed. If your hosts file
looks okay then look in the registry at:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

this gives the location of the hosts file, so if it's pointing to
anything other than %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc then either find
and view the file in its new location or change the value in the
registry back to what it should be.

It's right where it should be.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Needle

Jeffrey

That revelation makes quite a difference <G>.

Could you please post a complete copy of the Error Report in Event
Viewer.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

Damndest thing. I'm set up as the Administrator, with all rights. When I try to start Event Viewer, I get "Access is Denied."

When the error occurs, I'm told that some information is being sent to a file on my pc. But a search for that file turns up nothing.

Arrrgghhh!!!