privacy outpost / a search engine lock out

john k

I have IE6, and have a problem opening any search engine
such as google, yahoo, altavista, msn, etc. They all pull
up the same website which is a "WARNNING" for a spyware
software program called Privacy Outpost. I've run trojan
cleaners, adaware 6.0, and a virus scanner. I've even
removed and reloaded IE6. It won't go away, and I can't
find it in my system anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated... Please ???
hell of an advertisement, buy their spyware protector or
they take control of your PC. I even sent them an email
via tech support, but no answer...

DVarnau

John,
A google search turned up nothing useful on this.
So... a few suggestions:
Did you update Ad-aware before running it?
You might try spybot S&D from http://security.kolla.de/ Update Spybot before
running it.
Anything in add/remove programs?
Anything suspicious in MSCONFIG> Startup?
Anything suspicious in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files (or
C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files?)
BHODemon 1.0 from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm can
identify and disable BHOs. It does not remove malware, but can help with the
troubleshooting process.

Lastly... go to HijackThis Quick Start: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
Read the instructions, download HijackThis and post a log to the Hijackthis
Logs And Problems forum at http://tomcoyote.org/forums/

Hope this helps,
Don

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
d.varnau[at]lycos[dot]com

"john k" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have IE6, and have a problem opening any search engine
such as google, yahoo, altavista, msn, etc. They all pull
up the same website which is a "WARNNING" for a spyware
software program called Privacy Outpost. I've run trojan
cleaners, adaware 6.0, and a virus scanner. I've even
removed and reloaded IE6. It won't go away, and I can't
find it in my system anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated... Please ???
hell of an advertisement, buy their spyware protector or
they take control of your PC. I even sent them an email
via tech support, but no answer...

.Don,
Thanks, it was that my IE was hijacked, running Hijack
this identified the problem and fixed it for me, great
help, than you...