PrintServer - Broadcasts

Thomas

Hi,

we have the following Print-Enivronment:
W2K-PrintCluster (Hybrid Node); approx. 2.000 Printqueues (1000-Node1;
1000-Node2); approx. 20.000 Printjobs/Day; WINS-Server; XP-Workstations

Now, we have determined that our PrintServer blast broadcasts in our
network. With a network scanner we could find the reasons for this
broadcasts:
For each printjob, the printserver want to connect to the clients
Server-Service, but at our clients the Server-Service is per default
disabled. Wins has an entry for the client in his database, but not for the
client's server-service. Therefore the printserver makes a broadcast (3
times) in our backbone for name-resolution and produce network-load.

Does somebody know why W2K want to connect to the client's server-service
and how we can block it (we don't want to change the printserver to a
p-node)?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas

Hi,

thank you for your help, but I think for the confirmation that a print job
was successfully printed, MS will use the messenger-service and not the
server-service on the client.

Thomas

Skif

Well, I did notice that Messenger service is stopped by default in XP and
set to "manual" startup mode. So I doubt that it would be used for this
purpose.

PS Any chance I could contact you personally? Just a couple print-related
questions.

Remove no_spam from my email address to get a real address.

Brian Smither

Thomas said:
Does somebody know why W2K want to connect to the client's
server-service and how we can block it (we don't want to change the
printserver to a p-node)?

Sorry but I have no answer. Here is my experience with a P2P LAN with 3
clients and one server (Win2KSP2): When the client prints, the server
then reports back to the client information that ends up in the printer's
object window (document name, status, owner, etc).

These comments may apply to your situation and prove useful. If not, good
luck solving your situation.

Thomas

Maybe your are right and it is a status information or confirmation for the
current print job, i'm not sure.
I brought the print-queue to another server for testing and the result was
the same, only when I disable "NetBios over TCP/IP" on the printserver, the
broadcasts are stopped.
I couldn't find a option in the printserver settings or Registrykey to block
those broadcasts by another way.

Thanks,
Thomas

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Thomas" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: PrintServer - Broadcasts
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:23:58 +0100

Hi,

--

If we haven't already triy disabling "Notify when remote documents are printed" on the Advanced tab under Server
Properties to see what happens?

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.