Printing on Card Stock/Heavy Paper

Discussion in 'Printers' started by JWil, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. JWil

    JWil Guest

    I want to make some wedding invitations and my color laser printer
    doesn't accept most of the sample papers I chose because they're too
    thick. I've heard that some inkjets are designed for handling thicker
    or special papers (most good invitation stock seems to be > 110 lb)
    with straight paper paths, etc. Can anyone recommend one of these?
    I'd also like the printer to put up with pre-scored stock and
    pre-embossed stock. Cost is not my object; resolution and ability to
    handle special papers is. Thanks for any tips.
     
    JWil, Sep 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. JWil

    Jon O'Brien Guest

    In article <>,
    (JWil) wrote:

    > I've heard that some inkjets are designed for handling thicker
    > or special papers (most good invitation stock seems to be > 110 lb)
    > with straight paper paths, etc. Can anyone recommend one of these?


    The Epson 2100 (2200 in US) will handle mount board without a problem and
    produces excellent results. I expect there are several other printers
    which would also do the job.

    Jon.
     
    Jon O'Brien, Sep 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. JWil

    Lux Guest

    "JWil" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to make some wedding invitations and my color laser printer
    > doesn't accept most of the sample papers I chose because they're too
    > thick. I've heard that some inkjets are designed for handling thicker
    > or special papers (most good invitation stock seems to be > 110 lb)
    > with straight paper paths, etc. Can anyone recommend one of these?
    > I'd also like the printer to put up with pre-scored stock and
    > pre-embossed stock. Cost is not my object; resolution and ability to
    > handle special papers is. Thanks for any tips.


    If you're looking to do printing soon, I know the Office Max near me is
    having a 39cent color copying/printing sale until the 4th I believe. I know
    they've printed on card stock for me in the past. It may vary from location
    to location tho.
     
    Lux, Sep 2, 2004
    #3
  4. JWil

    JWil Guest

    "Lux" <lux@nospam_icanon.org> wrote in message news:<y3vZc.66$>...

    > If you're looking to do printing soon, I know the Office Max near me is
    > having a 39cent color copying/printing sale until the 4th I believe. I know
    > they've printed on card stock for me in the past. It may vary from location
    > to location tho.


    Thanks for the good intentions, but I'm not looking for a service
    bureau, but the best way to print on heavy card stocks myself at home.
    I'm going to be doing this a lot in the future.

    But I'll return the favor, Lux. If you are still paying money for
    color printing, you can apply for a FREE color laser printer grant
    from Xerox. It's pretty easy if you get some tips on filling out the
    application. Half my friends have them now. Xerox is indeed giving
    color laser printers away to the right people. 2 yrs ago I got a
    $5000 laser printer system out of them, and it works like a
    gem...except on card stock heavier than 80 lb. And I've had 110 lb,
    smooth card stock to go through it via manual feed, but it won't even
    do that weight with the less smooth or pre-embossed wedding invitation
    stocks you find at professional paper supply stores. The site is
    www.freecolorprinters.com, I think. Contact me if you decide to do
    this so I can tell you how to maximize your chances of succeeding with
    the application...don't make me say "I told you so!"
     
    JWil, Sep 2, 2004
    #4
  5. Many of the newer inkjet printers are designed to handle thick papers,
    such as the recent Epson models, some of which handle CDs for printing
    purposes. However, not all inkjet printers handle non-inkjet coated
    stocks very well. You may wish to consider some of the pigmented ink
    printers which use Durabrite or Ultrachrome inks. The result will also
    be smearproof and maybe even waterproof (so the tears of joy don't ruin
    the invitation ;-))

    Art

    JWil wrote:

    > I want to make some wedding invitations and my color laser printer
    > doesn't accept most of the sample papers I chose because they're too
    > thick. I've heard that some inkjets are designed for handling thicker
    > or special papers (most good invitation stock seems to be > 110 lb)
    > with straight paper paths, etc. Can anyone recommend one of these?
    > I'd also like the printer to put up with pre-scored stock and
    > pre-embossed stock. Cost is not my object; resolution and ability to
    > handle special papers is. Thanks for any tips.
     
    Arthur Entlich, Sep 2, 2004
    #5
  6. JWil

    Timothy Lee Guest

    In message <>, JWil
    <> writes
    >I want to make some wedding invitations and my color laser printer
    >doesn't accept most of the sample papers I chose because they're too
    >thick. I've heard that some inkjets are designed for handling thicker
    >or special papers (most good invitation stock seems to be > 110 lb)
    >with straight paper paths, etc. Can anyone recommend one of these?
    >I'd also like the printer to put up with pre-scored stock and
    >pre-embossed stock. Cost is not my object; resolution and ability to
    >handle special papers is. Thanks for any tips.


    Not quite the answer you are looking for but have you looked at HP's
    colour laser papers? eg: their soft gloss laser C4179B (or poss A for US
    sizes) I think the high gloss version maybe thicker paper

    I believe Xerox has some papers that might be suitable as well. I think
    you might find some at http://www.insight.com which I think has a US
    section.

    Are you using the special media path in your laser?

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom
     
    Timothy Lee, Sep 2, 2004
    #6
  7. What you fail to mention is that this is a consumables contract and it
    is only good in the US.

    The printer is "free" if you qualify (it's based upon your printing
    several thousand pages 2000-4000 a month). Xerox only charges you for
    your consumables, which you must buy on line from them. If you fall
    behind your "printing commitment" any month, it costs you $100. If you
    fail to report it's worse, $125. After 3 years you can keep the printer.

    However, the truth is, you pay for the printer via the consumables,
    because, just like inkjet printers, laser color printers have gone to a
    similar business model here.

    I figured out, for instance, that if I were to buy a Minolta Magicolor 2
    printer, that the cost of replacing the full consumables just once came
    to more than the cost of the printer with the initial consumables.
    Indirectly, the printer was "free" also, because the consumables covered
    the cost. However, the benefit of buying the printer was that once I
    owned it, unlike in the Xerox situation, I could buy consumables
    wherever I could get the best value, I wasn't in a 3 year monopoly
    contract with the vendor.

    Anyway, the point is this model Xerox has come up with is not any great
    value for most people. I am sure they have figured out their profits on
    the consumables, and they cover the printer cost well enough at
    2000-4000 prints per month, especially if the person prints a lot of
    color images which use a great deal of toner up.

    Art


    JWil wrote:

    > "Lux" <lux@nospam_icanon.org> wrote in message news:<y3vZc.66$>...
    >
    >
    >>If you're looking to do printing soon, I know the Office Max near me is
    >>having a 39cent color copying/printing sale until the 4th I believe. I know
    >>they've printed on card stock for me in the past. It may vary from location
    >>to location tho.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for the good intentions, but I'm not looking for a service
    > bureau, but the best way to print on heavy card stocks myself at home.
    > I'm going to be doing this a lot in the future.
    >
    > But I'll return the favor, Lux. If you are still paying money for
    > color printing, you can apply for a FREE color laser printer grant
    > from Xerox. It's pretty easy if you get some tips on filling out the
    > application. Half my friends have them now. Xerox is indeed giving
    > color laser printers away to the right people. 2 yrs ago I got a
    > $5000 laser printer system out of them, and it works like a
    > gem...except on card stock heavier than 80 lb. And I've had 110 lb,
    > smooth card stock to go through it via manual feed, but it won't even
    > do that weight with the less smooth or pre-embossed wedding invitation
    > stocks you find at professional paper supply stores. The site is
    > www.freecolorprinters.com, I think. Contact me if you decide to do
    > this so I can tell you how to maximize your chances of succeeding with
    > the application...don't make me say "I told you so!"
     
    Arthur Entlich, Sep 2, 2004
    #7
  8. JWil

    Lux Guest

    Thanks both for your comments. I kinda figured you were looking for a home
    solution, JWil, but wasn't sure so I thought I'd throw that out. For
    myself, I rarely do such prints on heavy papers, so a third party solution
    is more cost effective to me. There is no way I could come close to the
    print requirements Xerox asks for on that offer. But it is definately an
    interesting business model. I had never seen that before.
     
    Lux, Sep 3, 2004
    #8
  9. JWil

    JWil Guest

    Art,

    You're correct that the Xerox freecolorprinters.com deal is
    essentially a consumables contract, but it's still the steal of the
    century in printing, so long as you print the volume of >2000 pages a
    month and want the color laser quality. You sound pretty negative on
    the deal, so I'm not sure you've actually done it. I have, and it's an
    awesome program. I'm 2 mo away from owning the equipment free and
    clear. Here's a few points you didn't mention:

    --It's relatively easy for any small business, even a business of 1,
    to print 2000 pages (not 4000) per month. I shifted a lot of my
    photocopying to printing duplicates, did my own Xmas cards and
    business brochures, etc. If you do fall behind, Xerox is actually
    pretty forgiving. If you need to print more, just print a bunch of fax
    cover sheets or something to help you stock up. Or print an email a
    100 times. It's still a great deal. If you don't print anything in a
    given month, you pay the $100 charge for that month only, which is
    comparable to a lease contract. This is perfectly reasonable, since
    they are expecting to make money in the long run on the consumables
    and need to give you an incentive to actually use the printer.

    --When I got into the program almost 3 yrs ago, the program gave me
    $5,000 worth of equipment and paid the shipping to get it to me. I
    didn't have to spend a dime on the printer for 4 months, which is when
    I bought new ink. Of course you could go spend this money on buying
    the same equipment if you want, but you'd still have to buy ink, pay
    for your own onsite support, and pay for the shipping to get it to
    you!

    --Yes, Xerox wants you to buy your ink directly from them, and why
    shouldn't you...they have the cheapest prices anyway! Each month they
    have something on sale even. Still, Xerox doesn't physically prevent
    you from spending more at a 3rd party retailer if you insist.

    --The equipment comes with a 3-yr onsite repair contract. I've had to
    use it twice, and I've been impressed with the quality of service each
    time. The 2nd time the tech was in my office the same day I called.
    The 800-number tech support is top-notch as well and I've never had to
    wait on hold.

    Overall, I disagree with you entirely that this program is not
    anything but an incredible deal. Basically it comes down to whether
    you want to pay for a nice color laser printer or not...you're going
    to pay for the ink and supplies anyway, so why not get the printer for
    free? This deal is a no-brainer for small businesses who have a
    reasonable amount of printing to do and want the color laser quality.

    However, the printer does not have a straight paper path and can not
    print on invitation-quality card stock over 110 lbs. I've done 110 lb
    card stock very reliably, however.

    --John


    Arthur Entlich <> wrote in message news:<RDCZc.50416$A8.21435@edtnps89>...
    > What you fail to mention is that this is a consumables contract and it
    > is only good in the US.
    >
    > The printer is "free" if you qualify (it's based upon your printing
    > several thousand pages 2000-4000 a month). Xerox only charges you for
    > your consumables, which you must buy on line from them. If you fall
    > behind your "printing commitment" any month, it costs you $100. If you
    > fail to report it's worse, $125. After 3 years you can keep the printer.
    >
    > However, the truth is, you pay for the printer via the consumables,
    > because, just like inkjet printers, laser color printers have gone to a
    > similar business model here.
    >
    > I figured out, for instance, that if I were to buy a Minolta Magicolor 2
    > printer, that the cost of replacing the full consumables just once came
    > to more than the cost of the printer with the initial consumables.
    > Indirectly, the printer was "free" also, because the consumables covered
    > the cost. However, the benefit of buying the printer was that once I
    > owned it, unlike in the Xerox situation, I could buy consumables
    > wherever I could get the best value, I wasn't in a 3 year monopoly
    > contract with the vendor.
    >
    > Anyway, the point is this model Xerox has come up with is not any great
    > value for most people. I am sure they have figured out their profits on
    > the consumables, and they cover the printer cost well enough at
    > 2000-4000 prints per month, especially if the person prints a lot of
    > color images which use a great deal of toner up.
    >
    > Art
    >
    >
    > JWil wrote:
    >
    > > "Lux" <lux@nospam_icanon.org> wrote in message news:<y3vZc.66$>...
    > >
    > >
    > >>If you're looking to do printing soon, I know the Office Max near me is
    > >>having a 39cent color copying/printing sale until the 4th I believe. I know
    > >>they've printed on card stock for me in the past. It may vary from location
    > >>to location tho.

    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks for the good intentions, but I'm not looking for a service
    > > bureau, but the best way to print on heavy card stocks myself at home.
    > > I'm going to be doing this a lot in the future.
    > >
    > > But I'll return the favor, Lux. If you are still paying money for
    > > color printing, you can apply for a FREE color laser printer grant
    > > from Xerox. It's pretty easy if you get some tips on filling out the
    > > application. Half my friends have them now. Xerox is indeed giving
    > > color laser printers away to the right people. 2 yrs ago I got a
    > > $5000 laser printer system out of them, and it works like a
    > > gem...except on card stock heavier than 80 lb. And I've had 110 lb,
    > > smooth card stock to go through it via manual feed, but it won't even
    > > do that weight with the less smooth or pre-embossed wedding invitation
    > > stocks you find at professional paper supply stores. The site is
    > > www.freecolorprinters.com, I think. Contact me if you decide to do
    > > this so I can tell you how to maximize your chances of succeeding with
    > > the application...don't make me say "I told you so!"
     
    JWil, Sep 9, 2004
    #9
  10. Color laser printers are selling in Canada for between $600 and $1200
    with the first set of consumables included. Some come with regular full
    toner cartridges, others with partially full "courtesy" types.

    I have not looked at the consumable costs on the specific Xerox model in
    question, but I would like to know how it compares to other consumables
    for other laser printers. I suspect it is more costly (Xerox needs to
    cover the printer costs somehow).

    Yes, I can see how one could "beat" the system by running a bunch of
    copies through the machine which have hardly any toner coverage so that
    consumables could be kept to minimal toner use while still meeting the
    2000 prints a month, if one was so inclined. I do agree the service
    contract has good value, since most color laser machines do not offer on
    site, if any. service when you buy them outright.

    I still believe one needs to be careful with this business model. For
    someone who uses a color laser for 2000 photo image prints a month, the
    cost of consumables through Xerox may prove more costly than buying a
    new machine outright and buying consumables as required wherever you wish.

    Art

    JWil wrote:

    > Art,
    >
    > You're correct that the Xerox freecolorprinters.com deal is
    > essentially a consumables contract, but it's still the steal of the
    > century in printing, so long as you print the volume of >2000 pages a
    > month and want the color laser quality. You sound pretty negative on
    > the deal, so I'm not sure you've actually done it. I have, and it's an
    > awesome program. I'm 2 mo away from owning the equipment free and
    > clear. Here's a few points you didn't mention:
    >
    > --It's relatively easy for any small business, even a business of 1,
    > to print 2000 pages (not 4000) per month. I shifted a lot of my
    > photocopying to printing duplicates, did my own Xmas cards and
    > business brochures, etc. If you do fall behind, Xerox is actually
    > pretty forgiving. If you need to print more, just print a bunch of fax
    > cover sheets or something to help you stock up. Or print an email a
    > 100 times. It's still a great deal. If you don't print anything in a
    > given month, you pay the $100 charge for that month only, which is
    > comparable to a lease contract. This is perfectly reasonable, since
    > they are expecting to make money in the long run on the consumables
    > and need to give you an incentive to actually use the printer.
    >
    > --When I got into the program almost 3 yrs ago, the program gave me
    > $5,000 worth of equipment and paid the shipping to get it to me. I
    > didn't have to spend a dime on the printer for 4 months, which is when
    > I bought new ink. Of course you could go spend this money on buying
    > the same equipment if you want, but you'd still have to buy ink, pay
    > for your own onsite support, and pay for the shipping to get it to
    > you!
    >
    > --Yes, Xerox wants you to buy your ink directly from them, and why
    > shouldn't you...they have the cheapest prices anyway! Each month they
    > have something on sale even. Still, Xerox doesn't physically prevent
    > you from spending more at a 3rd party retailer if you insist.
    >
    > --The equipment comes with a 3-yr onsite repair contract. I've had to
    > use it twice, and I've been impressed with the quality of service each
    > time. The 2nd time the tech was in my office the same day I called.
    > The 800-number tech support is top-notch as well and I've never had to
    > wait on hold.
    >
    > Overall, I disagree with you entirely that this program is not
    > anything but an incredible deal. Basically it comes down to whether
    > you want to pay for a nice color laser printer or not...you're going
    > to pay for the ink and supplies anyway, so why not get the printer for
    > free? This deal is a no-brainer for small businesses who have a
    > reasonable amount of printing to do and want the color laser quality.
    >
    > However, the printer does not have a straight paper path and can not
    > print on invitation-quality card stock over 110 lbs. I've done 110 lb
    > card stock very reliably, however.
    >
    > --John
    >
    >
    > Arthur Entlich <> wrote in message news:<RDCZc.50416$A8.21435@edtnps89>...
    >
    >>What you fail to mention is that this is a consumables contract and it
    >>is only good in the US.
    >>
    >>The printer is "free" if you qualify (it's based upon your printing
    >>several thousand pages 2000-4000 a month). Xerox only charges you for
    >>your consumables, which you must buy on line from them. If you fall
    >>behind your "printing commitment" any month, it costs you $100. If you
    >>fail to report it's worse, $125. After 3 years you can keep the printer.
    >>
    >>However, the truth is, you pay for the printer via the consumables,
    >>because, just like inkjet printers, laser color printers have gone to a
    >>similar business model here.
    >>
    >>I figured out, for instance, that if I were to buy a Minolta Magicolor 2
    >>printer, that the cost of replacing the full consumables just once came
    >>to more than the cost of the printer with the initial consumables.
    >>Indirectly, the printer was "free" also, because the consumables covered
    >>the cost. However, the benefit of buying the printer was that once I
    >>owned it, unlike in the Xerox situation, I could buy consumables
    >>wherever I could get the best value, I wasn't in a 3 year monopoly
    >>contract with the vendor.
    >>
    >>Anyway, the point is this model Xerox has come up with is not any great
    >>value for most people. I am sure they have figured out their profits on
    >>the consumables, and they cover the printer cost well enough at
    >>2000-4000 prints per month, especially if the person prints a lot of
    >>color images which use a great deal of toner up.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>
    >>JWil wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>"Lux" <lux@nospam_icanon.org> wrote in message news:<y3vZc.66$>...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>If you're looking to do printing soon, I know the Office Max near me is
    >>>>having a 39cent color copying/printing sale until the 4th I believe. I know
    >>>>they've printed on card stock for me in the past. It may vary from location
    >>>>to location tho.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the good intentions, but I'm not looking for a service
    >>>bureau, but the best way to print on heavy card stocks myself at home.
    >>>I'm going to be doing this a lot in the future.
    >>>
    >>>But I'll return the favor, Lux. If you are still paying money for
    >>>color printing, you can apply for a FREE color laser printer grant
    >>>from Xerox. It's pretty easy if you get some tips on filling out the
    >>>application. Half my friends have them now. Xerox is indeed giving
    >>>color laser printers away to the right people. 2 yrs ago I got a
    >>>$5000 laser printer system out of them, and it works like a
    >>>gem...except on card stock heavier than 80 lb. And I've had 110 lb,
    >>>smooth card stock to go through it via manual feed, but it won't even
    >>>do that weight with the less smooth or pre-embossed wedding invitation
    >>>stocks you find at professional paper supply stores. The site is
    >>>www.freecolorprinters.com, I think. Contact me if you decide to do
    >>>this so I can tell you how to maximize your chances of succeeding with
    >>>the application...don't make me say "I told you so!"
     
    Arthur Entlich, Sep 10, 2004
    #10
  11. JWil

    Guest

    USA printing supplies is a leading printing accessories and printing material suppliers throughout USA. We are specialized in supplying advertising materials, screen printing media, SAV, windows film and other electronic support materials along with the print heads for wide format of printers. for more detail please visit us.

    ---------------------------------------------------

    Printing Equipment Suppliers
     
    , Aug 4, 2012
    #11
  12. From: <>

    > USA printing supplies is a leading printing accessories and printing material suppliers
    > throughout USA. We are specialized in supplying advertising materials, screen printing
    > media, SAV, windows film and other electronic support materials along with the print
    > heads
    > for wide format of printers. for more detail please visit us.
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------
    >
    > Printing Equipment Suppliers


    USA printing supplies -- spammed from India.

    Thank you for letting us know that we should AVOID this company and NOT do business with
    them.


    --
    Dave
    Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
     
    David H. Lipman, Aug 4, 2012
    #12
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Josiah Cod

    Canon 9100 print on heavy card stock ?

    Josiah Cod, Jan 9, 2004, in forum: Printers
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    476
    Wolf Kirchmeir
    Jan 9, 2004
  2. Nexim
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    467
    Nexim
    Apr 21, 2004
  3. Replies:
    7
    Views:
    734
    Arthur Entlich
    Oct 12, 2005
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    695
  5. hjmler
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    620
    hjmler
    Sep 3, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page