    and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using MyComputer,
    etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long process.
    Any ideas?

    Guest, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Dee,

    You can do this sort of thing by going to the command prompt and doing it
    the way you remember. If you go to the Start menu, select "Run..." and
    enter "command" you will get a command prompt window, which behaves very
    much like the DOS you remember. You can use the "dir" command and pipe it
    into a text file that you can then edit. "dir /?" will give you all of the
    options, but it sounds to me like you want "dir /ad /s /tw". This will give
    you the list of directories (/ad) with all subdirectories (/s) and the last
    time written (/tw). To put the output in a text file you can enter a
    filename after the command like such "dir /ad /s /tw > c:\directory.doc".
    You can then edit the file and edit it as you please. (Note that you'll get
    a bunch of "." and ".." directories, which are special directory entries
    that refer to the current and next level up, respectively.)

    You'll have to navigate to the root directory of the folder you want to list
    by using the "cd" command to change the current directory. You can also
    optionally enter in the full path in the dir command, but you'll have to put
    it in quotes if there are spaces:

    dir "c:\My Directory\That Directory" /ad /s /tw > c:\directory.doc

    Good luck.

    --
    Jeremy Kuhne
    STE / Authoring Tools

    Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.This alias is for newsgroup
    purposes only.

    Jeremy Kuhne [MSFT], Aug 25, 2004

  3. One minor change to what's below. Was thinking too retro. You should type
    "cmd" instead of "command". You use "command" on Windows Me and below.

    Jeremy Kuhne [MSFT], Aug 26, 2004

    Don MI Guest

    "Dee" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > I have a large directory in which there are lots of subfolders and folders
    > within those, and so on and so forth. How can I print out the directory
    > tree
    > (showing last modified dates) from within Win XP? I used to DOS quite a
    > lot
    > and I remember being able to do this. I've tried within XP using
    > MyComputer,
    > etc but it doesn't let me print it and using PrintScreen is a long
    > process.
    > Any ideas?

    In addition to using the capability within Windows, you could install a
    third party application such as Directory Printer from:

    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

    Karen's Directory Printer is free.

    Don

    Don MI, Aug 26, 2004