Event ID: 33
Date: 11/9/2005
Time: 6:59:38 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: Test
The PrintQueue Container could not be found because the DNS Domain name
could not be retrieved. Error: 54b

Does anybody have any ideas why we would be getting these errors all of a
sudden since installing SP1? We are getting 16 errors and have 16 print
queues.

Thank You
Adam Raff

Jason Tan

Hi Adam,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that the Event ID 33 log occurred after you applied Windows
2003 SP1. From the error message, it seems the print spooler could not
locate the domain controller or could not bind to the directory service on
the domain controller. This might be because DNS cannot resolve the domain
controller's IP address, or because the domain controller or directory
service is not functioning correctly. I suggest you first verify if the DNS
configuration is correct for now. In addition, if all are working fine, I
suggest you uninstall SP1 temporarily and check the issue. If the issue
still persists, please help me collect MPS_Report information for further
research.

Please note: If there is no real issue except the Event 33, you may safely
ignore it.

The Detailed steps are as the following:
=============================

Download the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE from the following link and then run this
tool to gather some information from the problematic computer:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE

To run this tool:

1. Double-click on the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE file.

I understand this process may take some time, however it will not have a
negative effect on the performance.

2. A CAB file will be generated in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.

3. Send the CAB file as an attachment to (e-mail address removed)

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Adam Raff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Print error after loading SP1 on Windows 2003
| Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:09:56 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Good Day,
|
| We have a File/Print Server that is also our DC. The server also
functions
| as our DNS/DHCP server. Not the best but we are a small company. The
| system was a windows 2000 (Clean install) I created 16 print Queues.
About
| a year later we upgraded to 2003 and had no issues with the upgrade and
we
| were happy. It has been running as a 2003 system for about 8 months with
no
| issues. Last night we installed/upgraded the server to SP1. Now during
Boot
| I get the following errors.
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: Print
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 33
| Date: 11/9/2005
| Time: 6:59:38 PM
| User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
| Computer: Test
| The PrintQueue Container could not be found because the DNS Domain name
| could not be retrieved. Error: 54b
|
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|
| Does anybody have any ideas why we would be getting these errors all of a
| sudden since installing SP1? We are getting 16 errors and have 16 print
| queues.
|
| Thank You
| Adam Raff

Adam Raff

Hi Jason,

After the system comes up, the logon takes a very long time, longer then it
did before SP1 was installed, everything works and the printers also work.
The errors do show up in the event log but no other errors appear and we are
working fine after that. Please note that this error only shows up during
the boot of the server, after that it seems Ok and we print fine.

The problem started up after I installed SP1 and I assume that it is because
of the fact that our DNS/DHCP server is also our Print server and DC (not a
recommend setup per Microsoft but we are a small company). I guess that SP1
did some things which are now causing this error and the services are not
starting up fast enough. Per my first email this was a win2000 system which
was upgraded to 2003, the printers were created in 2000. I did not have any
issues when it was 2003. I did read something about this happening if the
printers were created on NT4 I believe or it's deleting some files and then
creating them again. One fix was to delete the print Queue and create them
again. I was trying to get a better idea on what was happening and why. I
would rather not uninstall SP1 yet since it is working just not right or it
could be working right and the new files are just not liking the config that
the server is in. No errors have shown up in two days of operation so far
so I am letting the system settle in to see what else happens.

If you would still want me to run the report that is not an issue. Just let
me know.

Thanks for your help
Adam Raff

Jason Tan

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your response!

Sorry for my delay due to leave.

According to my further research both in our internal knowledge base and
from the external websites, the issue is most likely caused by the
corrupted printer ports configuration after applying the SP1. At this
point, if there is no real issue when you print except the Event 33, you
may safely ignore it just as I mentioned initially. If not, I think you
have to reinstall the printer Queue to fix the issue. Thank you for your
understanding!

> [...]

| > 15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE
| >
| > To run this tool:
| >
| > 1. Double-click on the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE file.
| >
| > I understand this process may take some time, however it will not have a
| > negative effect on the performance.
| >
| > 2. A CAB file will be generated in the
| > %systemroot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab directory called
| > %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
| > generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.
| >
| > 3. Send the CAB file as an attachment to (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | Good Day,
| > |
| > | We have a File/Print Server that is also our DC. The server also
| > functions
| > | as our DNS/DHCP server. Not the best but we are a small company. The
| > | system was a windows 2000 (Clean install) I created 16 print Queues.
| > About
| > | a year later we upgraded to 2003 and had no issues with the upgrade
and
| > we
| > | were happy. It has been running as a 2003 system for about 8 months
| > with
| > no
| > | issues. Last night we installed/upgraded the server to SP1. Now
during
| > Boot
| > | I get the following errors.
| > |
| > | Event Type: Error
| > | Event Source: Print
| > | Event Category: None
| > | Event ID: 33
| > | Date: 11/9/2005
| > | Time: 6:59:38 PM
| > | User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
| > | Computer: Test
| > | The PrintQueue Container could not be found because the DNS Domain
name
| > | could not be retrieved. Error: 54b
| > |
| > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
| > |
| > | Does anybody have any ideas why we would be getting these errors all
of
| > | sudden since installing SP1? We are getting 16 errors and have 16
print
| > | queues.
| > |
| > | Thank You
| > | Adam Raff
| > |
| > |
| > |

Adam Raff

Thanks Jason,

I will keep that in mind during our next reboot and see what happens. So
far as I said everything seems to be working. What I can do is slowly redo
the queues one at a time just to get them working and maybe increases the
speed of the login after the server boots up.

Adam Raff

Jason Tan

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your reply. If you have any updates, please feel free to post
back!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Adam Raff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Print error after loading SP1 on Windows 2003
| Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:28:17 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Thanks Jason,
|
| I will keep that in mind during our next reboot and see what happens. So
| far as I said everything seems to be working. What I can do is slowly
redo
| the queues one at a time just to get them working and maybe increases the
| speed of the login after the server boots up.
|
| Adam Raff
|

| | > Dear Adam,
| >
| > Thank you for your response!
| >
| > Sorry for my delay due to leave.
| >
| > According to my further research both in our internal knowledge base and
| > from the external websites, the issue is most likely caused by the
| > corrupted printer ports configuration after applying the SP1. At this
| > point, if there is no real issue when you print except the Event 33, you
| > may safely ignore it just as I mentioned initially. If not, I think you
| > have to reinstall the printer Queue to fix the issue. Thank you for your
| > understanding!
| >
| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| >
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Adam Raff" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Print error after loading SP1 on Windows 2003
| > | Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:20:50 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > |
| > | Hi Jason,
| > |
| > | After the system comes up, the logon takes a very long time, longer
then
| > it
| > | did before SP1 was installed, everything works and the printers also
| > work.
| > | The errors do show up in the event log but no other errors appear and
we
| > are
| > | working fine after that. Please note that this error only shows up
| > during
| > | the boot of the server, after that it seems Ok and we print fine.
| > |
| > | The problem started up after I installed SP1 and I assume that it is
| > because
| > | of the fact that our DNS/DHCP server is also our Print server and DC
| > (not
| > | recommend setup per Microsoft but we are a small company). I guess
that
| > SP1
| > | did some things which are now causing this error and the services are
| > not
| > | starting up fast enough. Per my first email this was a win2000 system
| > which
| > | was upgraded to 2003, the printers were created in 2000. I did not
have
| > any
| > | issues when it was 2003. I did read something about this happening if
| > the
| > | printers were created on NT4 I believe or it's deleting some files and
| > then
| > | creating them again. One fix was to delete the print Queue and create
| > them
| > | again. I was trying to get a better idea on what was happening and
why.
| > | would rather not uninstall SP1 yet since it is working just not right
or
| > it
| > | could be working right and the new files are just not liking the
config
| > that
| > | the server is in. No errors have shown up in two days of operation so
| > far
| > | so I am letting the system settle in to see what else happens.
| > |
| > | If you would still want me to run the report that is not an issue.
Just
| > let
| > | me know.
| > |