Premiership relegation

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Ok, 2moz is the day ..lets first take a look at statisical figures...

Why should anyone take any notice of what a Cambridge professor of statistics, who knows little about football and does not even support a team, says about this weekend's matches?

The answer lies in the increasingly sophisticated mathematical models that are being used by sports betting companies to set odds and identify potentially good bets.

Read the professor's probabillities
Let us look at Arsenal playing Stoke City at home on Sunday, and ask - how many goals is Arsenal going to score?

The average number of goals scored by a Premier League team at home this season is 1.36.

But Arsenal is not average - in fact they have scored 39% above average at home, so we could add this "strong attack factor" of 39% to get 1.89 expected goals.

Now we need to take into account the defence strength of the opposition, and we find that this season Stoke City has conceded 11% more goals than average, so we add a further "weak defence factor" of 11% to get a final total of 2.1 expected goals from Arsenal.

Now no team is going to score 2.1 goals, but we can use some probability theory (rather bizarrely called a Poisson distribution after Monsieur Poisson) to estimate a 12% chance that Arsenal will score 0 goals, a 26% chance of getting 1 goal, a 27% chance of scoring 2, and so on.

Meanwhile, Stoke City is estimated to have a 51% chance of not scoring at all, a 34% chance of getting 1 goal, and only 15% chance of getting 2 or more goals.

We can then easily work out the chance of a particular score - it turns out that the most likely score is 2-0 but even this only has a 14% chance.

This is the simplest possible analysis and can be easily done on a spreadsheet.

With my student Yin-Lam Ng we have been looking at all the major league results in Europe for the past 20 years and found that better predictions can be made by including something called the pitch-factor.

This reflects the fact that there is a slight but measurable relationship between the conditions on the pitch and the number of goals scored by both teams.

This means that teams have some tendency to either both score high or low.

This needs special software and gives the predictions shown in the table.

One thing the model makes very clear is that although we can sometimes be reasonably confident who will win certain games, it is much harder to nail down the exact scores.

For example, although the model suggests a 72% chance that Arsenal will beat Stoke on Sunday, there is only a 14% chance that the final score will be exactly 2-0.

There is 13% chance it will be 1-0, and a 9% chance of 2-1.

So with even the best mathematical models, predicting the exact scores involves a lot of luck, which means Mark Lawrenson is still in with a good chance of beating the computer this weekend.

One final word of caution: These techniques are not as sophisticated as the models the bookies use, and they do not respond to public opinion as bookies' odds do.

So we only give Hull City a 9% chance of beating Manchester United on Sunday, which may be reasonable if we just look at past performance.

But judging from the betting, people clearly feel Hull has a better chance than this given their perilous circumstances and with Man U conserving their strength.

Maths can find it difficult to deal with these factors.

So I would not recommend anyone using these odds for betting.

You have been warned.

Arsenal 1-1 Stoke (my prediction)

Now lets look at the facts if the Toon dont win or draw then they are Relegated..

Ian and Madx..take note

Reaction score
Rush said:
Arsenal 1-1 Stoke (my prediction)

Now lets look at the facts if the Toon dont win or draw then they are Relegated..

Ian and Madx..take note

Well fingers crossed they do win..It will be a shame to see a team like Newcastle been relegated...As for your game, my money is on Stoke to win 2 - 1, with the scoore been one each in the foirst half and Stoke scoring a late goal in the second half...:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I glanced at this thread title and for one moment there I thought it read 'Premature Ejaculation' :eek:

My goodness.

Carry on :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I glanced at this thread title and for one moment there I thought it read 'Premature Ejaculation' :eek:

My goodness.

Carry on :)

You could have been right. Footballers generally dribble before they shoot. ;)
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got no idea if Newcastle can win this one, and I don't think a draw is going to be enough. It's really down to the wire :eek:

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
It will be a shame to see a team like Newcastle been relegated.:thumb:
Just have to bounce back & prove you can play in the premiership!

Last edited:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Unbelievable really but there you go, prima donnas and over eager players, Newcastle deserve to go down , they were not good enough by far...Taylor and Smith/Barton/Duff personify this...Taylor wears his sleeve on his heart but has no footballing discipline..Smith, Barton and Duff are over paid non geordies ...The rest are made up of foreigners who dont carry the geordie passion... 3 managers in 1 season is ridiculous..Ashley may have made mistakes but the buck stops with the players.not good enough..I hope he stays because if Shearer has half a footballing brain then he will have a clearout and The board and manager will be stable . The toon will be back next year for sure lets hope for all geordies the players and staff are ready for the return..In Ashleys defence you dont make £1B by being a Kn*b.

IMO Rush

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
After 38 matches the Premiership Table doesn't lie.

The three teams at the bottom just have to go down.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, we deserved to go down - it's hard to believe we can't score a single goal in a "mustn't lose" match. Well, actually that's not quite true we did score an own goal to send us down :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm hoping it means we can clear out all the dead wood and come back up within a couple of years :)

Ask a Question