Powerline Adapters

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about powerline adapters?

My broadband supplier is giving me, for free, a TV box which can be used for recording etc. There is also the ability to connect to the router for extra services but these will only work wirelessly if the router is less than 3 metres from the TV and mine is about 10 metres away. They have suggested that I can get round this by using Powerline adapters which send the signal through the mains circuit and this will avoid having cables all over the place.

I have looked on the net and it seems there are two types - 200mbps and 500mbps. Broadband speeds are considerably less than either of these figures and I wonder if there would be much difference in performance between them.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My two tin cans and a piece of string, I call it the "Mucks' Indy 5000", will out perform anything on the market today ... to order, just send me a check for £300 and our fully trained monkey, err, fitter will install the device for a measly £250. :)

Well, the practice of sending signals through the power lines hasn't changed much since the 1920s, no, really, the 1920s. The speeds have improved, but I'd take any ones claim of 500mpbs with a pinch of salt.

Ask Mr Google if he can find you any reviews/benchmarks and bear in mind to look for at least "AV2".

and, good luck! :)

this thread comes after I just read the spam, err, mail from BT advertising the same products. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got some 500Mbps Zytel adapters and they work great - there are about 4 throughout the house to connect various things, much more reliable than wireless, in this case at least :). I'd recommend getting the fastest ones possible, even though the figures on the box bare no resemblance to the speed you'll get (as Mucks has already mentioned). It won't be anywhere near 200, nevermind 500 mbps!

This pair of AV500's look like a good price and decent, but there are better ones out there:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/

Ask a Question