Power consumption in S3 standby mode?

Cat

How much power is consumed approximately when I put my PC into standby
mode by clicking on the "Keeps your session in memory puts the
computer in a lower-power state..." (sorry I don't know the name of
this button)? Of course, not including external devices such as the
printer, the cable modem and the monitor. I have enabled S3 mode at
the bios menu, and I've got 2GBs of DDR2 memory.

This "Keeps your session in memory..." works fine and it really starts
faster but I wonder if it is still a good idea to put the PC into that
state over night. If the power consumption is small, then I would do
so, if not, I'd rather turn the PC completely off during the night.

Richard Urban

It uses about 3-6 watts.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You may want to check out this paper:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/VistaEnergyConserv.msp
Windows Vista Energy Conservation

The Windows Vista operating system features significant changes to power
management infrastructure, functionality, and default settings. These
changes impact how PCs running Microsoft Windows consume energy. This paper
outlines the potential energy savings available when deploying Windows
Vista and the significant changes from Windows XP. These savings are
presented in terms of both financial and environmental impact.

Included in this white paper:

• PC Power Consumption

• Calculating Energy Savings

• Financial Impact

• Environmental Impact

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Richard Urban" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Power consumption in S3 standby mode?
|>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:16:39 -0500
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>It uses about 3-6 watts.
|>
|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

|>> mode by clicking on the "Keeps your session in memory puts the
|>> computer in a lower-power state..." (sorry I don't know the name of
|>> this button)? Of course, not including external devices such as the
|>> printer, the cable modem and the monitor. I have enabled S3 mode at
|>> the bios menu, and I've got 2GBs of DDR2 memory.
|>>
|>> This "Keeps your session in memory..." works fine and it really starts
|>> faster but I wonder if it is still a good idea to put the PC into that
|>> state over night. If the power consumption is small, then I would do
|>> so, if not, I'd rather turn the PC completely off during the night.

Richard Urban

Hi Darrel,

Bad link. Page can not be found!

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
You may want to check out this paper:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/VistaEnergyConserv.msp
Windows Vista Energy Conservation

The Windows Vista operating system features significant changes to power
management infrastructure, functionality, and default settings. These
changes impact how PCs running Microsoft Windows consume energy. This
paper
outlines the potential energy savings available when deploying Windows
Vista and the significant changes from Windows XP. These savings are
presented in terms of both financial and environmental impact.

Included in this white paper:

. PC Power Consumption

. Calculating Energy Savings

. Financial Impact

. Environmental Impact

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Richard Urban" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Power consumption in S3 standby mode?
|>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:16:39 -0500
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>It uses about 3-6 watts.
|>
|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

|>> mode by clicking on the "Keeps your session in memory puts the
|>> computer in a lower-power state..." (sorry I don't know the name of
|>> this button)? Of course, not including external devices such as the
|>> printer, the cable modem and the monitor. I have enabled S3 mode at
|>> the bios menu, and I've got 2GBs of DDR2 memory.
|>>
|>> This "Keeps your session in memory..." works fine and it really starts
|>> faster but I wonder if it is still a good idea to put the PC into that
|>> state over night. If the power consumption is small, then I would do
|>> so, if not, I'd rather turn the PC completely off during the night.

MICHAEL

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/VistaEnergyConserv.mspx

The "x" fell off.

-Michael