Postill's New Rig

Reaction score
i read that straight Isopropyl does the trick, and its cheap so i'll stick with that.

Must be better than removing thermal compound with a pencil eraser...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm sure that stuff will do the job fine Chris - the main thing I like about the Arctic stuff is the surface purifier used after the cleaner to get rid of any residue of the cleaner...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW, I've always used meths.

It does actually leave a little residue, so I've read, not as clean as isopropyl alcohol, but it's worked ok for me so far.

Reaction score
Lol no...

I read it was a great way to clean a CPU, and it gets crap off the surface very well.

More than a few people in various places reccomended it, and i did it for 3 years on my P4 which is still going strong :)

Reaction score
Well thats good advice there. I say you should always use a rubber
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
eBuyer delivered.

2 working day turnaround on an RMA is the most impressive i have experienced.

Got the new board in the system up and running, no sign of the Arctic Cooling yet though!!

At least i have a working desktop back now :) everything seems OK so far... we'll see :)

Reaction score
Great stuff!
Glad it has worked out for you.

Just be careful with the overclocking side ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
i read that straight Isopropyl does the trick, and its cheap so i'll stick with that.
Ha, ha, sorry that made me laugh, coming from the lad that just spent nearly 2K on a mew pc. :D

Good to see Ebuyer is doing somthing right! :thumb:

Reaction score
Not just any £2k, but the £2k he needs to live on at Uni, someone's going to be living on Beans on Toast for the next Uni Term :D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Chris

Not just any £2k, but the £2k he needs to live on at Uni, someone's going to be living on Beans on Toast for the next Uni Term :D

yeh but that rig could conjure up the best and most vitamin enhanced virtual Beans on Toast ;)

Reaction score
Imrie - you couldnt be more wrong.

I have my finances well under control.

Tuition fees: Seperate loan
Accommodation: Parents
Food: Job

I earn £300 a month working 12 hours a week at the local supermarket. Every pay day i take out £200 and keep that aside meaning i have £50 a week to buy food with, which i can do relatively comfortably. From the wages i have left i pay my phone contract, £15 a month and use the rest to buy alcohol or pay to go out places and general stuff.

My maintenance loan is for what i want it to be for - used some of it for my car insurance this year, some for my PC and the rest is going into a high interest savings account to earn me some money. The maintenance loan from student finance consists of 3 payments, each of £1400 and something... its a little over £4k a year. So i wasnt THAT extravagent with my PC considering i have a job and stuff.

I like to consider myself sensible when it comes to money :)

Reaction score
Well...

Fitted my Arctic Cooling - seems quite impressive.

The only temperature monitoring program i can get to work is Everest Ultimate Edition, and im running BOINC (so 100% CPU load) and the CPU is sitting at 3.5GHz - Hasnt crashed yet.

Thats a 49% overclock, and temps are 58 to 59 degrees under load. Ace.

Those are core temps, its telling me 49 degrees as a standard temp.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not bad going Chris.

The original motherboard incident didn't put you off then!? :D

Ask a Question