Please Welcome ... Fred

Reaction score
cirianz said:
Quite tempted to give it a go now.

Never tried home brewing before. Mostly thought of it in terms of beer & *whispers* I don't like beer But don't tell ;)

Mead's quite easy to brew, really, unless you want to get fancy with it. I can understand not liking beer, as well.

Brewing mead, once you have the equipment (large pot for boiling, glass fermenter with air lock, and a packet of brewer's yeast) is just heating water, tossing in the honey, getting the impurities out (skim the top), put in the fermenter, and add the yeast when it's cooled. If you're using dry yeast, you'll want to proof it in a half liter of warm sugar water. Then, just keep it cool and dark. 4-6 weeks later, drink.

To make a cyser, just start with apple cider instead of water. You can cold-brew cyser if you have a purified honey (You still have to boil a bit of cider to dissolve the honey in, though, you can't just add it to the juice because it will make a layer at the bottom of the fermenter, and won't budge)

Something else you can do that's illegal here in the US is distilling. I would like to try distilling some homebrew cider, to see what sort of brandy it would make. Unfortunately, home distilling is also illegal in Mexico, so hopping the border won't help.

Cheers
FB

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks fred :D That's copied & saved... reckon I might have a go at it come summer. I'm all curious now :)

Have to admit, I've no idea if distilling is legal here or not....

Ask a Question